Help me decide what router.

Associate
Hi all,

I am in a quandary, I am wanting to add another Asus router to my network and use my current old AC1900 ASU’s router into the mesh, therefore my upgrade does need to be an Asus.
I have a lot of Wi-Fi devices in my house 20 plus (some 5Ghz and some only 2.4Ghz) and we aren’t massively into gaming but do have a gaming PC, XBOX and PlayStation that my kids use for things like Minecraft and fortnight. I have the Virgin media 200Mb broadband but will defo upgrade to a faster line when it becomes available.

I have been looking at the RT-AX88U but can’t help but think “do I need something this fancy?”, so my question is, shall I just get the AX88U and take the financial hit for future proofing the house or shall I go
For the nearly half the price AC88U?

Soldato
Concur with needing to know the answer to @Caged 's question. From the post it seems like the problem you might be trying to solve is one of WiFi coverage. That might be better served by turning WiFI off on your current router and adding a standalone mesh system. Your assertion that your upgrade 'does need to be an Asus' may be founded on incorrect assumptions with your use case.

But then throw into the mix gaming and, updates aside, that's all about latency and not bandwidth so maybe if that's all you're struggling with and those devices are in the same place then a cheap ethernet cable run and a switch is a better solution.

Soldato
Obligatory run a cable to a central point and install an AP’s post.

20 devices isn’t an issue in itself (though in specific circumstances slower devices can slow everything down), even the old SR102 Sky Hub would handle 32. If the issue is coverage, then an AP or multiple AP’s installed in sensible locations will likely be faster and cost you less. If you are averse to running cables, mesh is an option. But the details requested above are the first step to getting good advice.

Back
Top Bottom