Help me pick an X570 mobo

Associate
Jumping on the AMD wagon and will initially go for a 3600 and then upgrade to the next gen version of the 3900 when it becomes available. Just looking for a solid X570 board without breaking the bank. Been looking at the
Coupling it with a Asus TUF 3800 OC and potentially put both GPU and CPU under water.

What suggestions do people have for the £200-£250 price range?

Thanks

Soldato
Be careful with x570 if you require a lot of sata ports. Some come with as little as 4 even on top models.

In your case the TUF has 8 and the Tomahawk has 6.. be aware of the sata port counts if you require a lot of storage to be added.

I personally would go with the TUF out of the two you have there.

Or this one if you want 8 sata and spend about £220 but has no wifi:- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-16s-ak.html

Or if you want to spend just under £250 (NO WIFI and only 6 SATA) then the Asus PRIME X570-PRO AM4 DDR4 ATX Motherboard can be had for £245 , OCUK are out of stock but other places have them for that with free shipping.

Out of all the TUF would be my choice as it has everything 8 SATA WIFI etc. If I was on a tight budget, if not get the Asrock x570 Tachi they can be had for £309 with free shipping .. so shop around. That's the board I got and it's great value for £309, want something to last for next gen cpus this is the one and Asrock have always been great for issues even out of warranty they have fixed or replaced things for me at our company, thankfully for my home builds never had a issue and they seem to last forever and not fail randomly when you go into the higher end Asrock boards. ASUS are great too but their support can be a pain in the rear when things go wrong or you need to RMA.

One of my favourite boards was a Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 and was always rock soild and new person that purchased it still using it to this day over almost 10 years now.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your replies. Both are great boards and either will do me well. Based on several reviews, I've opted for the MSI for a few reasons :-
  1. The VRM setup is one of the best out there and compares with boards more than twice the cost
  2. This is their re-worked Tomahawk board following all the criticism they faced with the original (which got hammered for being crap). Suffice to say they've gone overboard to redeem themselves
  3. Its only a small thing, but the fact that it has Wifi 6 over 802.11ac gives me a little more future proofing.
  4. Board and VRM temps underload were some of the lowest reported in several reviews.
  5. Internal USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C for front header in addition to the rear.
Stand by Gibbo. Order inc :)

Soldato
Thanks for your replies. Both are great boards and either will do me well. Based on several reviews, I've opted for the MSI for a few reasons :-
  1. The VRM setup is one of the best out there and compares with boards more than twice the cost
  2. This is their re-worked Tomahawk board following all the criticism they faced with the original (which got hammered for being crap). Suffice to say they've gone overboard to redeem themselves
  3. Its only a small thing, but the fact that it has Wifi 6 over 802.11ac gives me a little more future proofing.
  4. Board and VRM temps underload were some of the lowest reported in several reviews.
  5. Internal USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C for front header in addition to the rear.
Stand by Gibbo. Order inc :)

shame just 2 m.2 slots

Be careful with x570 if you require a lot of sata ports. Some come with as little as 4 even on top models.

In your case the TUF has 8 and the Tomahawk has 6.. be aware of the sata port counts if you require a lot of storage to be added.

I personally would go with the TUF out of the two you have there.

Or this one if you want 8 sata and spend about £220 but has no wifi:- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-16s-ak.html

Or if you want to spend just under £250 (NO WIFI and only 6 SATA) then the Asus PRIME X570-PRO AM4 DDR4 ATX Motherboard can be had for £245 , OCUK are out of stock but other places have them for that with free shipping.

Out of all the TUF would be my choice as it has everything 8 SATA WIFI etc. If I was on a tight budget, if not get the Asrock x570 Tachi they can be had for £309 with free shipping .. so shop around. That's the board I got and it's great value for £309, want something to last for next gen cpus this is the one and Asrock have always been great for issues even out of warranty they have fixed or replaced things for me at our company, thankfully for my home builds never had a issue and they seem to last forever and not fail randomly when you go into the higher end Asrock boards. ASUS are great too but their support can be a pain in the rear when things go wrong or you need to RMA.

One of my favourite boards was a Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 and was always rock soild and new person that purchased it still using it to this day over almost 10 years now.

going Tachi at £300 then you'll get the B550 Aorus Master which has the highest VRM set up out of B550 and X570 boards . or the B550 Taichi version which costs even more .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8d4C80Ub_o

PCB layers on the B550 Master and X570 out strip the X570 Tomahawk whiich is its only let down , 6 layers and thats how you keep the pricing down. and at X570 will only give two m.2 slots . But also depends on the ram your running and speeds you want to gun for

Associate
OP
2 x m2 is fine for me. I only need a couple of SATA ports (a legacy SSD plus a 6Tb HDD), so should be good to go. My target is not to jump into buying things that I dont need, hence limiting myself on the spend of the board at this time. The VRM setup plus an increase to a 6 layer PCB design puts the MAG Tomhawk up there with Aorus Extreme at <1/3rd of the cost (https://youtu.be/rD65w5RVmtY?t=352). RAM speeds are limited on the current AMD generation Infinity fabric to 3733 unless you want to hit the multiplier. I'm sure this will change with the next gen, but I'm covered as the board will do 4200Mhz if needed. I'll spend the money I save on good CL16 3600 x4 4Gb ram sticks.

Horses for courses. I could spend a ton of money if I wanted to, but I'm only spending what I need to get the results I'm happy with :)

Back
Top Bottom