1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me refill my SG01

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor and Single Board Computers' started by lego, 12 Mar 2010.

1. lego

Soldato

Looking to do a quick upgrade, currently running a q6600, with 4 gig of ram.

Been looking at the i5's or i7's but unsure which motherboards are currently the favourites and which processors are best bang for buck.

So i need a mobo (matx) cpu (i5/i7) and 6 gig of ram. Will be using my Graphics card i have for now (4890) and i have a seperate sound card (so no need to worry about on board)

Budget is anything from 350 to 600 bit more if there is a good gain in performance.

Thanks in advance

Lego

2. chiLLZ

Gangster

The Asus micro atx motherboards for p55/x58 Asus Maximus III Gene and Asus Rampage II Gene are pretty good because they have the supremefx X-Fi onboard audio chip which would be handy if you ever decided to add a second 4890 card.

I have the x58/i7 Asus Rampage II Gene which is very stable for overclocking or undervolting very little v droop. If you are looking to save a bit of money then there are other x58 boards like the MSI X58M which is said to overclock quite well and punch above its weight. I dont know much about the p55/i5 options but they will have a performance disadvantage although it might not be noticable in the average game.

The 920 or 930 processors are the best bang for the buck for x58/i7 and can be overclocked to the performance of the more expencive ones. any cas8 1600mhz or cas7 1333mhz tripple channel memory would have decent performance. anything above that is a waist really.

3. Phoenixdancer

PermaBanned

4. Invictus

Gangster

the i5 has better turbo boost so will complement the sugo better