Help me speed up my import workflow

Associate
I recently upgraded from a Canon 5D MkI to a Mk IV which im loving, apart from importing my photos which now takes an age!

My setup is as follows:

Lexar CFR1 (USB 3) attached to my Mac Pro (downstairs) > BT Home Hub > Devolo 500 Homeplug downstairs (180 MBits/sec) > Devolo 200 homeplug upstairs (120Mbits/sec) > Synology 412 NAS (upstairs)

I shoot RAW so each file is circa 30MB in size and importing is taking an age, as is reading the files. Im guessing the bottleneck is the homeplugs? although 120 MBits is about 15Mb/sec so it should take 2sec to make its way upstairs? (seems much longer)

So, do i upgrade my homeplugs to gigabit? (realising i wont get anywhere near that fast) or do i move my NAS back downstairs and get a gigabit switch and plug my Mac and NAS into the same switch? (no spare ethernet sockets on the home hub left) downside is i only have 1 power socket left on my UPS (not keen on adding a double plug, but would have no choice).

I could go wifi on my Mac (it sits right next to the homehub) and free up an ethernet port? but im not sure if that will help or not?

Thanks in advance.

Caporegime
Do you keep your catalogue on the NAS? I'm not surprised that takes an age, that'd drive me nuts.

I keep my catalogue on the local machine and use synctoy to upload to my NAS periodically.

Associate
OP
Currently importing into Lightroom using a USB3 CF Card reader as noted above. From memory my catalog is on my Mac with the photos on the NAS but will double check as its been a while since it was setup. Its a very valid point and a good reminder.

Raymond, what drive have you got connected to thunderbolt?

Caporegime
Currently importing into Lightroom using a USB3 CF Card reader as noted above. From memory my catalog is on my Mac with the photos on the NAS but will double check as its been a while since it was setup. Its a very valid point and a good reminder.

Raymond, what drive have you got connected to thunderbolt?

WD Duo, I am actually needing another one soon, I am 80% full for a 4TB one (so 2TB space). You can just pull out the drives and put in fresh ones however, the case is designed to be like that but I need to access and work on existing photos still.

Soldato
I found working over network regardless of it being LAN/WAN/Homeplug too slow for daily work. I don't use lightroom but now my process is to upload all files to laptop/pc (whichever I am planning to work from) and direct backup to NAS. Work on the project on the local PC then archive it on another NAS drive when finished. Any minor changes are fine over network but when I'm sorting and filtering nearly 3k photos (even only jpeg, event photography) it takes far too long unless the files are local. Upload final .jpg to ftp for distribution and backup, keep a copy of processed .jpg on local pc for a couple of years. Photobooth pics just get a single backup on NAS and one on ftp. Weddings have both processed jpg and raw backed up.

My homeplugs usually only got 25-50% of their rated speed over their connection (depends on wiring), a direct cable would be best but I'd try and do as much work locally as possible then back up/sync over the network when you're done.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, worh considering then. Sounds like i should move the photos to a local USB/thunderbolt drive and backup to a NAS.

Back
Top Bottom