1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP ME WITH MY BOOTUP TIME! pls

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rain Man, 15 Jun 2006.

1. Rain Man

Hitman

Well my spec is as the sig says. My the drive i bootup with is a seagate 80gb sata-ii running at sata-ii speeds

My oc'd 146 opty is 3.0ghz stable, ive got a reasonably fresh install of windows and my ram is running as follows
    [​IMG]

My hard drive bench:
    [​IMG]

In msconfig ive got only two things in the startup which is CTFMON and atitray.

But it takes me 01min 07secs to boot up! Thats not including bios screen or login, thats just from when i see the windows logo to when i see the cursor!

i swear my old p4 3.2 booted quicker! Ive run bootvis plenty of times and no improvement.

Help!

Thanks

EDIT:01min 49secs from button pressed until tray icons loaded up!

Last edited: 15 Jun 2006
  2. benjo

Capodecina

Ok, search google for "Autoruns.exe" and download that little app, lists everything that starts during boot and allows you to google them to see what they are.

Then download a program called "TuneXP", theres tweaks in this program that can make booting up a lot quicker, aswell as shutting down :)

3. elite

Wise Guy

im having the same problem, ill try them programs thanks

4. Scott Salisbury

Wise Guy

TuneXP is amazing I use it on all my installs.

Over 1 minute boot time from the XP screen is an awfully long time and I doubt that even TuneXP would improve it that much, especially after a fresh install.

On my system after a fresh install after the windows updates and Sp2 the xp screen flashes up for about 3 seconds then I see my desktop and that's before I used TuneXP.

Do you have any extra stuff plugged in? Printers, hard drives cd drives etc? That could be dodgey or old?

I just bought myself a new 150GB Raptor (as my 74GB was too noisey) and put a fresh install of windows on and it was perfect. When I had it up and running I put my 74GB hard drive in as a slave to get backups of my documents etc and the boot time suddenly took much longer from the XP screen. I actually thought it had frozen but it eventually loaded. When I took the drive out it was back to normal again.

What I suggest is take EVERYTHING out of your PC that isn't needed to start up and just have the absolute minimum plugged in. So try booting it up with just your boot hard drive, no cd drives, no floppys, no pci cards, webcams or printers etc.

If it improves then try and work out what the problem is from there.

Hope you get it sorted,
    Scott.

5. Stelly

Don

TuneXp is pretty good for things like that :)

Stelly

6. ErNciLator

Wise Guy

yer, id make sure nothing is freezing on boot - like failing net connection, or other time consuming IO's it must wait for. Remove any devices nt needed and boot, see if time different - try without net cable plugged in etc.

7. Rain Man

Hitman

like i said ive only got atitray and ctfmon in boot and just run bootvis, defragged boot files and clicked a few tweaks. now does a fullboot in 1:43. still like nearly 2mins

my mates p4 [email protected] 3.8 skt.478 with 2gb (1 x 1gb, 2 x 512mb) none dual channel boots in like 35secs. and hes got more stuff in start up and using and old IDE drive

is it something to do with A64's? i get 29secs PI score fgs lol

8. Meatball

Soldato

Ohh I just got my boot time to 25secs (From XP logo to log on screen) Sorry for hijacking :D

9. Scott Salisbury

Wise Guy

Kick the man when he's down why don't ya? :p

Nope, read my sig and read my post above :)

10. Meatball

Soldato

I didn't mean to :rolleyes: . Have you tried updating your BIOS? Might make a difference :)

11. Psypher5

Sgarrista

just downloaded this app, and OMG it scares me. :/

Just enable.disable, doesnt give any info about stuff or what it does?

Also, if i click randoms will anything majorly eff up my pc :) ?

f1 is a great key.

Ok just used it, getting a 27second boot (from bios splashscreen before post to xfire logged in) and an under 10 second shutdown :) Nice app.

12. Rain Man

Hitman

ive got no pci card or anything. Just my graphics card and another sata drive

what should i and shouldnt i click in tune xp?

13. Scott Salisbury

Wise Guy

Read the help file it tells you exactly what each feature does and who is it's meant for.

14. Rain Man

Hitman

just done so, ill post back in a min with my full start up time

15. Rain Man

Hitman

Did every twak and it improved by 1sec lol this is pointless

16. utherpendragon

Hitman

Even though it is a nearly new install, you really should try a reinstall. if that doesn't help it points to a hardware failiure.

17. Rain Man

Hitman

thing is ive always had a slow bootup time since i went from my dual core to my opteron. like i said my superpi score is 29secs and my game load times are amazing.

i might just give up

18. Psypher5

Sgarrista

Go and make a cuppa while it boots :) If everything else is fine and fast.

19. Mr Men

Sgarrista

just never turn it off :)

20. kidloco

Mobster

What version of XP is it. my old install of XP PRO was really quick to boot. SInce to to Media Centre Edition it takes a fair old while, worth it for all the extra capabilities it gives my 360