Help me with proposed Tv above gas(?) fire and false stud wall-gas requirements and pics of proposal

Soldato
Edit:
Cross posted this thread here with some AV questions, also now taken that ugly fireplace out!

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/tv-above-fireplace-with-5-1-or-replace-with-soundbar-and-have-offset.18935596/

Hi all, I’m looking to place a tv above a new gas fireplace. I intend to build out a stud wall centred approx 1.8m wide and 400 deep). My speakers /av kit/ Xbox will be to each sides with possible shelving.

I recognise there needs to be 400 Clear above the fireplace from the documents but can’t get head around flue requirements. What I’m struggling to find out is if there’s a minimum to dimension “A” in the below? Can I just right angle the flue straight off the fireplace and then directly upwards? There is a chimney behind this in pics.

I will then use this dimensions to work out the centreline to the Tv and see if it will be ok viewing angle or too high. I intend to have a centre speaker and 65” Oled or led tv above

I looked briefly at electric fires and couldn’t see similar quality ones but interested to hear any recommendations. I know that may make it easier for me but they tend to look a bit naff from what I’ve seen.

Proposed fire (studio 3)

https://www.flames.co.uk/gas-fires/...W6B1HD03p7e5xIBW00qHao6A8ytr1v58aApoUEALw_wcB

https://www.hotprice.co.uk/gazco-studio-edge-gas-fire-open-fronted/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Organic&utm_campaign=Products%252bFeed&gclid=CjwKCAjwtdeFBhBAEiwAKOIy5x2dsOffGNUVwrEOdUUThn7WWWIVZ7nOy7tuN7tF1bxapvlmt0iX0hoCT3AQAvD_BwE

Pics below including current room (very messy as removing wallpaper)

proposed gas fire pic of pdf requirements

WMdxQiI.png

naff sketch

OKWfzFu.png

It is the “drawing” room below
7qSFyg1.png

Pics of room
JDoFRXx.jpg

MrXcli5.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is it "chavvy" to have a TV above a fireplace or am I missing something?:D

The alternative is a TV in the corner but then that doesn't work as well for setting up speakers, and also detracts from fire (and bay windows which are being replaced) as focal point

Associate
Buff man, we was going to do something very similar last year. We was going to take the whole chimney breast out and have a newer moderner gas fire.

Our problem was always the height of the TV so in the end opted to scrub around the gas fire but still remove the breast and cap the gas supply.

This meant we could get a bigger TV and not have it too high. Really pleased with the result.

Soldato
OP
Buff man, we was going to do something very similar last year. We was going to take the whole chimney breast out and have a newer moderner gas fire.

Our problem was always the height of the TV so in the end opted to scrub around the gas fire but still remove the breast and cap the gas supply.

This meant we could get a bigger TV and not have it too high. Really pleased with the result.

Would be interested to see the pics!

Would ideally like a fire of some sort but recognise don't want TV too high..

Associate
No worries, here's a before and a couple of after pics (the original decor was courtesy of the previous owners)

Its a fairly nice size room but awkward with a large TV which didn't give us much option really.

We knew the chimney breast had to go so originally thought of having one of the those low/wide gas fires built into some stud work. Which then brought us to the next problem of clearance and the height of the TV.

This is why we ended up opting to completely remove everything and cap the gas.

OC-Before-01-E.jpg

OC-After-01-E.jpg

OC-After-02-E.jpg

Back
Top Bottom