Help, my sister is addicted to World of World craft! How do I get her off?

Associate
Seriously, I need advice. My sister became addicted to World of Warcraft and its ruining her life - socially, academically and causing family issues. She has always been into computer games and she was recently introduced to the game. She plays the game until 3am and never goes out or talk to her friends. It is causing serious family issues. She use to be late to college each morning and I bet you she is failed...if she passed her year, it is a miracle.

I need advice how to stop my computer uploading the game? or how I can mess up the games card to stop it from working? Please anyone with sound advice please, could you help out because it is seriously ruining her life and she is 18. Thanks.

P.S. I took away the computer and we had a major fight..that we are not talking big time.

Soldato
You could login to her account and add a parental control time limit on it :D You would die from her killing you but she'll be time restricted :)

Associate
Wow, an 18 y/o girl plays WoW into the early hours?! Give her my number!!

But seriously, I was similar, except it DID ruin me. Failed 6th Form, lost my girlfriend, had no job for ages. If I could go back in time I would have changed so much, but when you're hooked theres no getting you off, the only thing that stopped me was when I realised I'd wasted 2 years of my life and possibly my future.

Associate
OP
Marky said:
You could login to her account and add a parental control time limit on it :D You would die from her killing you but she'll be time restricted :)

She will outsmart me 'cos she aint 9 years old. I seriously thinking of damaging my computer. No one have any idea, how I can stop this program from loading up on the computer?

Soldato
Paramount said:
Wow, an 18 y/o girl plays WoW into the early hours?! Give her my number!!

But seriously, I was similar, except it DID ruin me. Failed 6th Form, lost my girlfriend, had no job for ages. If I could go back in time I would have changed so much, but when you're hooked theres no getting you off, the only thing that stopped me was when I realised I'd wasted 2 years of my life and possibly my future.

Spot on.

Been in the same situation, I let it ruin my university for me though! Got myself into a huge hole, and it took a lot of grovelling to get it all sorted.

Eventually something "snapped" and I cancelled my account.

I'm getting dangerously close to getting back into it though. :o

Associate
Marky said:

Problem is if she set up the account she can just use password reset, then change the parental controls.

The only way out is for her to do it herself. If you cut the internet off, she will spite you. If you delete the character or the game, she will spite you. My advice would be to move the computer into the living room, or somewhere public so the parents can kick her off when its getting late.

Or if you really technically minded (and evil) and the internet you have is shared on a router you might able to block the connection the warcraft servers use to connect to the internet. Like blocking a port.

I never really got to the stage where i failed anything, i just thought "5 hours in Molten Core for a 1 in 7 chance of a mage drop?" i played less then and finally gave up when they kept banging out new tier armour. May go back to just play a low level char in WSG.

Soldato
Megz2007 said:
She will outsmart me 'cos she aint 9 years old. I seriously thinking of damaging my computer. No one have any idea, how I can stop this program from loading up on the computer?
modify the program files with notepad with random letters so that it wont function.

Soldato
Megz2007 said:
address bar? I am seriously a noob, lol :p
The bit you type for example "forums.overclockers.co.uk" in

I think it is 3724 you need to block
"World of Warcraft uses a range of ports, but the most important is TCP on port 3724."

Back
Top Bottom