Help, my sister is addicted to World of World craft! How do I get her off?

Soldato
First find the manual, look up the default password in there.

If the default password doesnt work, turn the router around, somewhere on the back there will be a small 1mm hole, inside there will be a small button. Using a bic biro or a pin hold the button down for ten seconds, this will reset the router to factory default.

Make sure you know the default password BEFORE you press that button.

From a moral standpoint, which you may feel free to ignore, i really do think this is the wrong way to be going about this problem. For starters your parents should have the common sense to deal with this themselves. Secondly it shouldn't be done in the same manner as taking a toy away from a 8 year old for being naughty. She's 18, if she's still expected to learn things this way then she'll never learn anything.

Soldato
Open up your hosts file (on xp it's at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts)

Add in

eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com 127.0.0.1

Save it ... watch your sister cry.

Permabanned
Megz2007 said:
I rather help her get over it during the summer and see her ruin another academic year in her life. She not actually a child.

Like you say she's not a child, then why not just let her do what she wants? Who're you to dictate what she can and can't do with her life? I know that if I was her and I found out you were screwing around with a game that I like and also pay to play you'd ever so slightly be in the dog-house!

Soldato
Cuchulain said:

Add in

That will be the easiest way if that is indeed the correct url you need to block. :)

Associate
OP
Streeteh said:
First find the manual, look up the default password in there.

If the default password doesnt work, turn the router around, somewhere on the back there will be a small 1mm hole, inside there will be a small button. Using a bic biro or a pin hold the button down for ten seconds, this will reset the router to factory default.

Make sure you know the default password BEFORE you press that button.

From a moral standpoint, which you may feel free to ignore, i really do think this is the wrong way to be going about this problem. For starters your parents should have the common sense to deal with this themselves. Secondly it shouldn't be done in the same manner as taking a toy away from a 8 year old for being naughty. She's 18, if she's still expected to learn things this way then she'll never learn anything.

I definitely understand and my parents should do more..though they made her this way - I dislike them for it. I need to put a stop to this and then she can help herslf.

Associate
OP
Azagoth said:
Like you say she's not a child, then why not just let her do what she wants? Who're you to dictate what she can and can't do with her life? I know that if I was her and I found out you were screwing around with a game that I like and also pay to play you'd ever so slightly be in the dog-house!

True - though, she is not that technical. I understand what you are saying...I do, though I rather her hate me forever than let her rot

Associate
Cuchulain said:

Add in

Is that right? surely the worldofwarcraft would be like wow-europe.com or something. The server details are in the game file...which i uninstalled so can't find it.

Associate
OP
Cuchulain said:

Add in

Can I block her from ever accessing it? Also, can I do it on my laptop or I have to do it on my home comp?

Soldato
Megz2007 said:
Can I block her from ever accessing it? Also, can I do it on my laptop or I have to do it on my home comp?

If that is indeed the correct thing you need to block, then you will need to do it on the machine that she uses to play the game.

Permabanned
i was an addict and messed up my a levels because of it, just doing this may or may not get her off it but if it does stop her for a bit you need to find something else to fill that "gap". My job worked for me, now i just dont bother with wow. Maybe her friends can help you out by dragging her outside somewhere...

Associate
OP
Cuchulain said:

Add in

How do you add hosts files? Are you sure its right? I am ready to attack at night as she is a deep sleeper lol :p

Soldato
Megz2007 said:
How do you add hosts files? Are you sure its right? I am ready to attack at night as she is a deep sleeper lol :p

Double click it -> Open with notepad. You will then be displayed with:

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
[SIZE=3]127.0.0.1       eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com [/SIZE]

I've added the line that needs to go in, the large font just indicates what I've put in and where. Just wait for someone else to double check but I think it's all ok :)

EDIT: It is the other way around, I've edited to show this.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
killer_uk said:
Double click it -> Open with notepad. You will then be displayed with:

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
[SIZE=3]eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com        127.0.0.1[/SIZE]

I've added the part where it needs to go, the large font. Just wait for someone else to double check but I think it's all ok :)

Can I block her from ever accessing the hosts?

Associate
OP
timmy1988 said:
just tell her you love her and you dont want to see her life wasted, and loads of other sentimental stuff, but you have to mean them

My sister does not do sentimental...she is a heartless bitch, only cares for herself. She needs boot camp or something.

Soldato
EDIT: I'm confused now, wait for someone else to double check my post before you go under the cover of darkness only to find out it doesn't work :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
Megz2007 said:
My sister does not do sentimental...she is a heartless bitch, only cares for herself. She needs boot camp or something.

You ever thought she's like that because you're treating her like a child and dictating what she should do in her life? Sounds to me like she needs a Sisterectomy more than anything else.

Associate
Instead of trying to block her access, why dont you try getting her to have some time off WoW like a holiday somewhere for a week. I played wow religiously during my first year of uni and it totally screwed my life up, said to myself enough is enough and stopping playing during the 2nd year. After about a week I wonder to myself why did I even waste my time playing the game and found it wasnt actually that good.

Shes addicted at the moment probably because she plays it everyday, get her off the game for a few days for whatever reason might give her time to think whether its really worth it or not.

PS- its world of WARcraft ;)

Back
Top Bottom