Help, my sister is addicted to World of World craft! How do I get her off?

Associate
Azagoth said:
I'm not, I'm 100% on the side of the WoW playing Sister! It must be hell living with such a control freak as this megz character and now she wants to take away her Sister's enjoyment too!

Perhaps the sister really does have a problem. Or perhaps you have a problem with guildwars and find it incredulous people actually care you waste your life on a game like that.

If your brother/sister was a drug addict, would you think it ok for someone to tell you to stop being a control freak and let them waste their life away?

Man of Honour
just set up her own user on the computer. Then control her rights. Ie not allowed to install anything.

Or put password on router and ban the ports for the login server.

Permabanned
Tom1138 said:
Perhaps the sister really does have a problem. Or perhaps you have a problem with guildwars and find it incredulous people actually care you waste your life on a game like that.

Waste my life on Guild Wars? How do you know how much I play on a particular game? Let's just get this straight, in between work and family I don't have enough time to get addicted to any game, or anything else for that matter.

Tom1138 said:
If your brother/sister was a drug addict, would you think it ok for someone to tell you to stop being a control freak and let them waste their life away?

Quite frankly, if my Sister was an addict then that's her problem. Ok, I wouldn't like it or agree with it but it's her life and her choice!

Soldato
lol dont understand how people can get addicted to Wow, no level of self control? :/

i played before I went to uni 2years ago, played for 6weeks over summer, went ouni, never played it once whilst at uni and havent since, that was 18months ago.
When I did play it I played it for 4hrs a day or thereabouts, soon as I went to uni it was dropped, dont understand how you can play WoW and have a good time at uni!

Associate
regulus said:
I'm semi addicted to it but will NEVER let it ruin my job, relationship of friends. I only play when i have time or nothing else to do.

The problem is that when you are truly addicted you don't realise that its ruining your life. You just prioritise things differently and before long thoughts like "I can skip work for a day" or "I can't be bothered going round to my friends" start getting into your head.

Soldato
Quite frankly, if my Sister was an addict then that's her problem. Ok, I wouldn't like it or agree with it but it's her life and her choice!

Harsh, I'd hate to be a member of your family.

Good on this girls sister for trying to sort her out. In the long run she'll thank her for it.

Soldato
Why not just open up realmlist.wtf in notepad and change:
set realmlist eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com

To a different URL :p

That way when she tries to login, she won't be able to and it will look like the servers are down :p

Associate
malc30 said:
I've only read the first page so forgive me if it has been said all ready But ;
She is 18 an Adult & she pays for her gaming Leave her Alone.

Personally I dont agree. Sometimes people dont realise they need help, or they dont want to ask for it. Spending all your time in a virtual world is not healthy; I've been there. The sister needs to snap out of it and realise what is important in life. Family can help make this break easier.

Soldato
Its easy to cobble up any programme on a pc, just open up the WOW folder in program files & delete a couple of game data or important looking folders & the game won't run no way :D

Associate
Azagoth said:

Like said before I am glad your not a member of my family, because you seem very self-centred about it all. Would the same go for your wife or childre? "Oh don't worry dear you drink yourself into oblivion, thats your life choice..."

I feel the only people who say "let the sister do what she wants" are addicts themselves. Because it wouldn't be on this forum if it wasn't a problem. Never going out her room, or outside is pretty bad. Not much to look at when your older "i got no job but i have a level 80 warrior"

Caporegime
FirebarUK said:
Harsh, I'd hate to be a member of your family.

Good on this girls sister for trying to sort her out. In the long run she'll thank her for it.

Only if we're being told the truth this might just be some spiteful trick....

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Tefal said:
Only if we're being told the truth this might just be some spiteful trick....

Exactly. You do have to take a step back sometimes. How many sisters/brothers would give an honest fair assesment of what there brother/sister are up to. I know my sisters wouldn't as they really don't know what is going on in my life whether good or bad they only see what i want them to see.
Faamily are seriously blinkered when it comes to opinions on each other.

Soldato
Azagoth said:
Waste my life on Guild Wars? How do you know how much I play on a particular game? Let's just get this straight, in between work and family I don't have enough time to get addicted to any game, or anything else for that matter.
I hope knowone looks at your xfire and see how many hours youve clocked up ;)

Associate
If I was in this situation first I would make sure I have control over the router: make sure I know the password and know how to block the WoW ports but not block them just yet.
Then I would speak to the sister, have a chat about my view on the situation and give her a chance to finish with WoW herself or threaten to block WoW for her own good if she doesnt sort herself out...

I wouldnt just block it without giving her the option, as an ex-WoW player I know that would have ****** me off to no end and things would probably just get worse somehow :p

Back
Top Bottom