Help, my sister is addicted to World of World craft! How do I get her off?

Soldato
If convenient for you - every time you are near that PC, uninstall WoW. It takes a couple of minutes to uninstall, but hours to reinstall and patch/modify. Seriously irritating and would get very old very fast, also there is no way she can stop you, if you cant uninstall it, find where it is installed and delete the folder (and empty recycle bin).
Make sure you delete the patches too.

Associate
It seems quite sad that the only way you can get her to stop playing WoW is by doing something to forcibly stop it without her knowing. That won't teach her anything other than computers are annoying. The likely thing that will happen after is she will complain to her parents that the computer doesn't work, and it will get fixed.

You need to talk to her, not stop her from playing. Ever considered that the reason she plays on it so much is because she enjoys it. If so, tell her the consequences, show her (selective parts of) this thread. I'm sure you can find plenty on the internet about it. If as you say it is causing family issues, then you should talk to your parents about it. It is their job, not yours, to sort out life changing problems.

And if you really want to know how to block it, wouldn't it be easier to talk to someone using MSN, and much quicker than posting in this thread continuously.

Last edited:
Associate
if she's 18 you can't really say what she does in her spare time.

However if it's you who pays the bill I'd just ban the domains for warcraft.

Or plan c constantly seed linux iso's on p2p software with no limit on upload.

I'm sure the nice ping and latency she will get will soon spoil her enjoyment.

Have you all tried talking to her and saying you think it's a problem.

aob

aob

Associate
TheKnat said:
The problem is that when you are truly addicted you don't realise that its ruining your life. You just prioritise things differently and before long thoughts like "I can skip work for a day" or "I can't be bothered going round to my friends" start getting into your head.

Exactly, I have some mates who play like this.

course there defence is, "it's just like watching tv for you, instead of tv I play a game for entertainment"

I'm sorry, but I don't skip work or "forget" to eat just so I can watch tv :p

Thankfully my mates aren't as bad as someone of the people I know, but they'll still call in sick to work/college on a whim just to play WoW sometimes.

I got nothing against playing games as a pastime, but when your neglecting things like work/school/food/health/hygiene/sleep/responsiblities/relationships on an everyday basis all just to play a videogame you got a problem, and the people who defend an existence such as that obviously don't have much self worth imo.

Actually, the only thing I hate more than WoW itself are the other little hardcore WoW addicts who defend and convince your mates/family/loved-ones that they don't have a problem.

Soldato
Find her account password and then spam chats with insults and stuff from a new char you just made... she will soon get banned and she cant blame you :p

Her mates wont know you have been on as no one will have the new char you made each time on their lists. All she will know is that she has been banned for "abusive behaviour" and nothing will point to you. She will try to contact blizz which usually ends with nowt happening as she DID actually spam chat with insults ( well you did but shes not to know ). She will then go mental and you jump in saying she must have been keylogged and hacked and how terrible it is. :D

OR just log on her pc and goto loads of dodgy gold selling websites. Clear the history list when you log off and let nature take over... she will be keylogged and wiped out in no time ( yes this is evil but you did ask... )

Last edited:
Associate
wanna break wow?

buy her a copy of vista let her install it and find out all her programs are screwed lol

some one suggested that original poster was trying to take away her fun? from what i read she wants to bring her off whats more than that?

and on that line of thought just buy her a rampant rabbit n she wont have time to play the pc.

crisis averted now time for me to go back to lotro :D

Loki

Soldato
Slap her and tell her to get a life!

No seriously,

Do the lot, bread the game files delete some, cancel her account, block ports Ips load hacks on it,

I had the same thing for like 3months in yr12 i didn't go in for like 3 months over winter to 6form, was just playing CS. really really ****ed my 6form up TBH.

No swearing.

Zefan.

Soldato
Just let her do what she wants, it's her life!
If she wanted to stop, then she would, so she obviously wants to play it.
Maybe she likes it more than her friends, maybe she's fallen out with her friends.
Leave her alone and stop being a poohead about it.

Soldato
yhack said:
Just let her do what she wants, it's her life!
If she wanted to stop, then she would, so she obviously wants to play it.
Maybe she likes it more than her friends, maybe she's fallen out with her friends.
Leave her alone and stop being a poohead about it.

Yeah, I dont think i agree with you, and I've admitted that im semi-addicted to the game. Not so much that i will neglect work, family, relationships or hygiene, but I've felt the urge previously to cancel on meeting up with mates to run an instance. I constantly have to guard myself on not cancelling "normal" everyday life stuff to play and get new epic gear that probably took blizz 2min and 4kb to make. Some people have a weaker will and might give in to temptation.

They need help, even if they dont know it yet.

Associate
Seriously, some people in here are so bloody immature its ridiculous.

Those of you who have expressed the attitude of "oh it's her life, leave her alone and let her do as she wants" is just plain immature.

If any of you saw a loved one or someone close to you ending up in a downward spiral and wrecking their lives and ruining their chances, you'd just leave them be? Rubbish, you'd do everything you could to help that person get back on track, not just leave them to get worse and worse.

The fact is, being completely obsessed with an MMO so much that it takes over your life is just not right at all.

Some people need to think before they spout silly things like "Oh its her life" :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom