Help on new build in London E1

Associate
My son build I guess a Gaming PC and has now left. After many months, I plugged in the PC but it is constantly rebooting without even loading the bios I think.

The build is as follow:
Processor 4th Generation Intel Core™ i7 4790K 4.0GHz Socket LGA1150
Mother Board Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97 Socket 1150 VGA DVI HDMI 8-ch audio ATX Motherboard
Graphical Processor Unit GeForce GTX 780 3GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI DirectCU II
RAM Corsair 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Vengeance Memory
Disk SSD Crucial 512GB M550 SATA 2.5\" Internal Solid State Drive
Disk HDD Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive [PC]
Cooler/Fan Corsair Hydro H110 Liquid Cooling System
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black Performance Mid Tower Case with 2x120mm & 1x140mm Fans US
Power Suply Unit CORSAIR ENTHUSIAST SERIES RM850 MODULAR 80+ GOLD 850w PSU

Can someone help me to fix it?

Honestly, the best would be if someone could have a look at it. I am based in London E1 (near Mile End).
Many thanks in advance,
EZ

Associate
At the back of the computer there is a button next to usb ports to clear your motherboard settings, press that and try starting it up if that doesnt work remove motherboard battery for 5-10 minutes and then put it back and try again.
Are you getting any beep sounds by the way ?

Soldato
Honestly, the best would be if someone could have a look at it. I am based in London E1 (near Mile End).

I'd follow some advice in here first, and at least try some trouble shooting. Things like suggested above, and other obvious things such as disconnecting the HDD/SSD from the power and data, disconnecting all of the peripherals, I have had a PC do similar things thanks to a fault USB keyboard.

Soldato
Do you know anything about the internals of a computer? If not i would only attempt what you feel confident/comfortable trying...
  • As above, clear the CMOS and and check all internal connections/cards are securely in place - even the kettle lead.
  • If using an extension lead try plugging it directly into the wall
  • If above fails, try a minimum setup: 1 stick of memory (try different sticks and in alternate slots), gfx card (for now) and see if you can get into the BIOS. Disconnect all sata cables from the motherboard and power to the hard drives etc..
  • If that fails try 1 stick, CPU and onboard GPU (GFX on the CPU) - remove the gfx card and connect cable to motherboard output. Again see if you can get into the BIOS and again same procedure with the memory sticks.
  • If still no luck - ideally you would try a different PSU/memory or shorting the PW pins with a screwdriver to rule out the case connections.
  • And if that failed we would be looking at setting up outside of the case - but from your first post i think anything after step 2 may prove difficult.
If none of the above works post back. As Journey mentioned it could be anything - i had a dodgy Sata cable that caused me mayhem on one build, especially as the fault was intermittent.

Associate
OP
Hey!!!! Many thanks so much all!!! It works!!!!

I removed everything even monitor, GPU (to access the battery)...

Then I ran everywhere in London to find a LR 2032 battery on a Sunday, since it's been since 06/2014 we did this built and most of the time stayed in its cartoon. My son starting already to abandon his father at this time :)...

I don't know what it did since I don't have a monitor, but at least it stayed on for a much longer than usual... Plus, last time it shutdown on me while installing Windows 10. So no idea what's its state is now...

Now I need to run before other half abandon me either... but I will later start putting back everything starting by monitor, keyboard and mouse...

Big thanks already for now...

EZ

Associate
Hey!!!! Many thanks so much all!!! It works!!!!

I removed everything even monitor, GPU (to access the battery)...

Then I ran everywhere in London to find a LR 2032 battery on a Sunday, since it's been since 06/2014 we did this built and most of the time stayed in its cartoon. My son starting already to abandon his father at this time :)...

I don't know what it did since I don't have a monitor, but at least it stayed on for a much longer than usual... Plus, last time it shutdown on me while installing Windows 10. So no idea what's its state is now...

Now I need to run before other half abandon me either... but I will later start putting back everything starting by monitor, keyboard and mouse...

Big thanks already for now...

EZ
Nice, if its being in a box since 2014 then you have missed a lot of bios updates which improves system stability
If you can get into bios flash latest version.
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANx4vYL2n-E

Associate
OP
I'm afraid I don't have good news.

I put back GPU and plugged keyboard and mouse.

It started without rebooting but the monitor could not detect any signal. I tried different cables white and blue, and tried different options on the monitor Displayport, D-Sub, DVI... none worked.

Worse, after a few minutes the computer started again to reboot as before. I reset the computer on the button at the back (near usb's). It started fine but after a few minutes re-started again in continuous reboots not even loading the bios... :(

So now no screen and still reboots...

Many thanks in advance for your help.
EZ

Associate
OP
Awesome! It works...

Don't know if it is normal but it has always done this: At start after 2 seconds, the computer stops completely and then restarts and stays on normally.

Now the BIOS prompt has appeared and I could enter the BIOS configuration. It's now 5-10 mn and still on normally...

Is the problem the GPU? This is the most expensive thing we have ever bought!!!!!

Please let me know next steps, I have no idea how to configure this BIOS... knowing that I might have to boot on a USB stick since the computer shutdown last time in the middle of windows 10 installation... I appreciated very much.... )(*!"£$&!&$""£$!!!

Now I will shutdown everything including myself to bed before I kill everything... :)

Thanks again, I'm learning a lot and will resume your suggested next steps tomorrow...
EZ

Associate
Lets update the bios to latest version to rule out any bugs in the version you currently have then we can work on gpu.
See my previous post about updating bios to latest version.

Associate
OP
I have now updated the BIOS to the latest version for windows 10.

The computer is perfectly working... and asking me to reinstall windows 10.

Is there other settings for the BIOS? Should I go ahead and reinstall Windows 10?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there other settings for the BIOS? Should I go ahead and reinstall Windows 10?
As above - but I would check the manual that ACHI mode is selected by default (it should be with a board that age.).

All other minor tweaks can be done after the Windows install - i.e. memory may need the XMP set.

Associate
OP
Haya!!!
Windows 10 installed with updates... Computer stable with no reboot. Not even the micro reboot that used to be.

I have though a slight issue with the gaming mouse not recognized by the system: CSL - SM800 Optical Gaming Mouse | 3500 dpi sampling rate

I have to re-plug it for it to work. Is there something I can do besides changing mouse? Manufacturer is claiming no driver necessary...

Now I guess there is the other GPU issue... what's should I do with this one???

Many thanks in advance
EZ

Soldato
Have you tried a different USB port for the mouse - try a USB 2 port (black)?

Are all your drivers upto date?

Did you let windows install all of them or did you download the latest releases from Asus and Nvidia?

When in Device Manager do you have any yellow warning exclamations/triangles? If so on which devices?

What's the GPU issue?

EDIT: Make sure your Windows 10 install disk is the first boot device in the BIOS.

Associate
OP
I have switched between keyboard and mouse (2 usb2 black) and now the mouse seems to be recognized fine. Could someone explain why switching worked?

Otherwise, the issue solved with BaroUK2 was that with the GPU in there was no signal to the monitor. So I removed the GPU.

But now re-reading BaroUK2, I understand I might have been the dumbest person ever... Since I kept plugging the monitor onto the motherboard while GPU installed. Checking the GPU card I can see monitor connectors which would make sense I plug the monitor there instead... Is that correct?

Should I re-install GPU and plug the monitor on it now instead? I have the feeling I will feel stupid with the answer. :) Jeeez!!!!

EZ

Soldato
I have switched between keyboard and mouse (2 usb2 black) and now the mouse seems to be recognized fine. Could someone explain why switching worked?
You may not have the USB 3 drivers installed (or not working correctly) - look in device manager for yellow warning symbols. That's why i suggested the black ones as they're USB 2.

For now run with it and try to get your GFX card running.

But now re-reading BaroUK2, I understand I might have been the dumbest person ever... Since I kept plugging the monitor onto the motherboard while GPU installed.

Easy mistake to make for someone who hasn't used a PC in years - don't sweat it :)

Checking the GPU card I can see monitor connectors which would make sense I plug the monitor there instead... Is that correct?

Should I re-install GPU and plug the monitor on it now instead? I have the feeling I will feel stupid with the answer. :) Jeeez!!!!

Download the latest drivers from Nvidia for your card - and yes install your GPU and plug in the lead. Let Windows boot up and recognise the card and settle down. Once it's stopped updating/grinding away - install the drivers you downloaded. Follow on screen prompts...

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom