1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help overclocking Intel Core i7 d0 920

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by PAINKING, 18 Oct 2009.

1. PAINKING

Associate

Few weeks ago i did a test with speedfan 4.38 it showned that i had 4 cores

Now today i do a test by changing my OC settings it shows 6 cores how is this possible?

With 4 cores/threads this is my result: -- witch seems reassonable

[​IMG]

With multi threading on my temps are sky high - why does it now show theres theres 6 cores? it used to show always as 4 - even with multi threading on

[​IMG]

PS these temps were taken by prime95 while stress testing

this is a previous screen shot it shows only 4 cores with 8 threads in cpu-z.... ---- The overclock was not done properly so one of the guys from OC sent me a profile all was working fine now the temps are sky high... WHen i bought it the temps were 82c max and it only showed as 4 cores like the first screen but in cpu-z it shown as 8 threads not 4, If i turn hyper threading on in bios why does the heat go so high up and show as 6 cores?

This pc I bought is this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-065-OE

Last edited: 18 Oct 2009
  2. PAINKING

Associate

Hm judging by an old sceenshot when i bought the pc
    i had 3 fans showing in speedfan

[​IMG]

Also i upgraded the pc from the following items from overclockers ---- ordernumbers are ca-101-an, the operating system is sw-118-ms and the case fans are 2x fg-022-sy.
    Using these case fans doesnt show the speed how fast it goes is that why it only shows one speed?

Anyone know why it shows 6 cores????

Last edited: 18 Oct 2009
  3. reygjabla

Wise Guy

What are you talking about? Where does it says 6 cores?:rolleyes:

4. Sayso

Mobster

mm strange have you tried HWmonitor ot realtemp/coretemp.

and those temps arnt great but 80s is what your gunna get on some air cooling O/C the 920 :(

5. McstylisT

Perma Banned

I cant see anything that indicates 6 cores m8. ?

Anyway the main thing i saw was on your original pics , CPU-Z is reporting 4 cores and only 4 threads. At this stage you must have disabled the HT. ??
    As in all the rest of your pics CPU-Z shows 4 cores 8 threads , which is correct with HT enabled.

I am guessing this is why its reporting more as HT makes it look like 8 cores , its just 4 threads running along side each core.

McT

6. PAINKING

Associate

has anyone got the best overclock profile for this system? if u can help me work out what the best OC settings to use is would help me greatly

7. Sayso

Mobster

sorry painking, you will have to delve into the bios yourself to find the best settings...there are loads of post on here about 920 O/C read some and if you still need help ask.

8. PAINKING

Associate

another question sometimes i get an alterntive bios screen either When the pc starts up either a black one or the white one says gigabyte wots the difference im using 2 profiles, witch OC'rs sent me the default is black but the white gigabyte one is not

9. PAINKING

Associate

has anyone good a link of a good post that has some settings for the i7 d0 version overclocked to 4ghtz i remeber this post 4ghtz club for the i7 but i think its been removed now cause i cant find it does any1 have the link for it

10. reygjabla

Wise Guy

Use Core Temp, Real Temp and or CPUID Hardware Monitor so we can all determine whats your exact/avarage temp. I used all three of them to monitor my RIG's temp as they differ by about 2C+/-.

11. ETNiES

Hitman

Thats just a BIOs setting you can turn off the Gigabyte screen if you want and watch the post screen, that's what I use

12. PAINKING

Associate

how?

13. Hotwired

Sgarrista

I have a ROG mask logo which appears instead of my POST screen but I just need to press TAB if I want to see the POST.

14. ETNiES

Hitman

I cant remember where abouts it is, it's in the same menu as selecting your boot priority about half way down dont wanna reboot ^^