1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please:- pc clock is running 20 minutes fast per hour

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Mesuno, 20 May 2006.

1. Mesuno

Hitman

As the thread title,

my pc clock has started (in the last 3 days) running 20 minutes fast per hour.

I've run an up to date virus check, rebooted numerous times, time sync'd with a server etc and nothing helps.

does anyone have a clue what could cause this?

It doesn't coincide with new software installations, my system isn't overclocked or anything and it has run fine for nearly 3 years with nothing like this. Even the IT guys at work are stumped.

2. hp7909

Soldato

You say 3-years? Might be CMOS battery, though that would cause it to loose time not gain. Maybe synchronisation issues with Internet Time servers :confused: Try disabling Windows Time Service :D

3. mc_bob

Banned

Do you mean it will be the correct time but then go faster by 20 mins every hour?
    Try just putting the time in yourself.

MC_Bob

4. Mesuno

Hitman

I've tried entering the time manually. It still runs fast.

5. basmic

PermaBanned

I can only suggest replacing your battery.

If that doesn't work, new motherboard time. :(

6. Mesuno

Hitman

/me cries

7. chrismox

Wise Guy

All is not lost!

Assuming you either can't be bothered to replace the battery or that doesn't solve your problem, use Tardis 2000.

I used it on my old Nforce2 system which ran similarly fast and it simply updates the time from a choice of hundreds of servers at whatever interval you choose (I had it set to 30 minutes which was fine for mine).

You'll need to download it from http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/ (it's shareware but doesn't have any features removed for freeware users).

Install it and have it run every time you start Windows - it uses virtually no resources and sits in your system tray.

You should also stop the 'Windows Time' Service using the services control panel in administrative tools.

8. Caged

Capodecina

nForce 2 boards do this. Mine did.

Now I use Intel chipsets.