HELP PLEASE !

Associate
Hi. looking to upgrade monitor and GPU. I currently have
Asus Intel PRIME X299-A ATX Gaming Motherboard.

Corsair 32GB DDR4 3600mhz Vengeance Lpx MemoryModule.

Intel Core i7-7740X 4.30GHzLGA 2066 Retail Boxed Processor.

Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC GAMING Graphics Card

I have a budget of around £800
P.s I'm looking for 144hz 1440p high fps on high settings ifpossible. I play Pubg andbattlefield v.

Man of Honour
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

Can you tell us the make and model of your psu please? The reason is that any gpu to fit your requirements is going to consume much more power than your 1050Ti and it's important to check that you have enough power to cover it.

Man of Honour
What make and model though? Not all psu's are created equal. Just because it says 750w on the side doesn't mean it has 750w on the all important 12v rail. At this point all we know is that you have a 750w psu and not if this is a quality psu or a £20 special from Ebay.

Soldato
Man of Honour
That psu is a older CWT built unit and while it does have 744w on it's 12v rail the internals are low quality with lots of capxon caps that are only rated at 85 degrees C. Although it's a excellent option I am not sure I would want to run a Vega64 on a psu with such budget internals. The problem on the Nvidia side is that anything more powerful than the 2060 is going to blow the budget big time. Even the GTX 2060 has a terrible price tag.

Associate
I think I'd just run that old power supply. In my opinion; no point replacing it until it actually fails. I think most regular people dont get near the max rating of thier psu's, unless running a really OC'd gpu or SLI.

Good choice on the 1660ti btw, good value i reckon. :)

Soldato
I think I'd just run that old power supply. In my opinion; no point replacing it until it actually fails.

It's because they degrade over time and begin stressing other components at a faster rate, leading to possible damage. That's fine if the system keeps the same old components that have already had a good run, not so good if new components are added. Due to stiff PSU market competition, warranty length provides a pretty good idea of how long a PSU will operate at close to the ideal.

It is of course hard/impossible to pinpoint what time is ideal to swap. The PSU may not have been used or stressed much compared to others, or will have been used in cooler climates than others. It's just the safe v sorry and once bitten twice shy consideration.

Back
Top Bottom