Help! Reconfigured loop and pump broke?

Associate
Hey all,

I recently posted my build and you can see the old build from my previous post:

Thanks all for advice. Went for XD5 in the end - think it’s a really neat res with plenty of opportunity to change my runs around. Would anyone run their tubing differently here? I’m wondering how I can minimise curves.

I’d like to go to inlet at top of res from 360 rad but the soft tubing just does not like to go that way... Would a 45° fitting help here?

Bottom left res -> GPU -> 240 top rad -> CPU -> 360 front rad -> res

iS2paF7.jpg.png

I decided I didn’t like how one of the runs from the CPU block out because the diameter had almost halved in its bend.

I’ve now reconfigured as seen below. At the top right the config is Alphacool 90° to 90° to allow for a nicer run and you can see I’ve moved some runs around.

WFWkrb3.jpg.png
l4NceJV

My issue now is that it won’t fill. It gets to halfway on the first run (at the front) and that’s it. It’s almost as though the pump is on low rpm?

Pump/res is Corsair xd5
Before reconfig I had noticed some air bubbles that were persistent, but no change in temps so I assumed pump was OK.
Things I’ve tried:
-Different 24 pin jumpers
-Different molex connectors
-Changed extension cables
-Looked at all runs, they appear to be kink free

Our last thought is to quickly load in to bios, to check RPMs but I’m fairly concerned about that idea.

Is it possible that it’s stuck on a hardware RPM?

Appreciate any help, thanks Matt

Soldato
Are you leaving a port open on the reservoir while you fill? I wonder if the amount of air in the loop is being compressed so the pump can't force it round.

Also it's hard to tell but you will want your return into the reservoir connected to the inlet that has a pipe going into the liquid. This is to allow air to escape into the top of the res, rather than having it travel back up the return tube while powered off.

Associate
OP
Are you leaving a port open on the reservoir while you fill? I wonder if the amount of air in the loop is being compressed so the pump can't force it round.

Also it's hard to tell but you will want your return into the reservoir connected to the inlet that has a pipe going into the liquid. This is to allow air to escape into the top of the res, rather than having it travel back up the return tube while powered off.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah initially I forgot to open the valve, but no difference opened or closed. Yep return to the res is a pipe, you’re right it’s hard to see.

Soldato
Do you have any other molex powered devices? An old power hard disk or an old fan? Something you can connect to the same molex line as is going to the pump. We see a lot of posts about difficulty filling loops and it's often because the pump simply won't draw enough power.

Associate
Is the pump making any noise? are you sure there are no blockages and the impeller is not obstructed?
It's always possible that something has congealed and is blocking/preventing the pump from pumping

Associate
OP
Do you have any other molex powered devices? An old power hard disk or an old fan? Something you can connect to the same molex line as is going to the pump. We see a lot of posts about difficulty filling loops and it's often because the pump simply won't draw enough power.

Nope, just the pump on the molex and tried different adaptors.

Is the pump making any noise? are you sure there are no blockages and the impeller is not obstructed?
It's always possible that something has congealed and is blocking/preventing the pump from pumping

The pump does make a slight humming noise and some fluid does slightly move up the first run.

I changed the run so it was just a loop from the outlet of pump to the inlet on the right. It filled up the loop and ran well. I’m thoroughly confused, I guess I’ll have to troubleshoot each run?

Associate
Is the pump PWM? If so, try disconnecting that from the mobo to force it to run at 100%. If not, crank the dial up ;)

Edit: Just googled it and the pump is pwm so give that a try if you haven't already.

Associate
OP
Is the pump PWM? If so, try disconnecting that from the mobo to force it to run at 100%. If not, crank the dial up ;)

Edit: Just googled it and the pump is pwm so give that a try if you haven't already.

Thanks for this - turns out this was the issue. I realised earlier that the pwm was plugged in to the commander pro but I’d discounted that as the fault because the commander pro is receiving no power from PSU. I tried without and it filled right away.
Hopefully this helps people who see this thread.

Back
Top Bottom