Help spec. my director a Laptop

Associate
Although not responsible for IT in our office I have been asked by my director to suggest a new personal laptop for him as he said that his current one is not up to scratch.

Although it will only really used for word processing and Internet access he has insisted that he wants it to be the the 'doggs' (his words not mine) but gave the following pointers...

It must be a Dell
15-16inch screen
Capable of running the latest flight simulators.
Able to handle multiple tasks
Cost is not an issue.

I have narrowed it down to the following..

Dell Studio XPS 16 (Intel® Core™ i7)
Dell Studio 15 Laptop (Intel® Core™ i7)

Both appear to be good laptops however a few reviewers have commented that the design of the screen on the XPS restricts airflow when open. Anyone had experience of either? Don t want to suggest something which is going to cost a grand but then have niggling issues he can then moan about

Associate
I've got the XPS 13 and a Studio 15 and the difference in build quality is massive.

The XPS is a really nicely put together piece of kit and even the 13" will play most games fine. The screen does block the fans a bit but I haven't noticed any colour distortion in the year I've had it.

If cost is no issue go with the XPS.

Soldato
Him wanting it to play the latest flight simulators is a slight curve-ball, but can of course be done, but not really with the regular business line models, for this you need a full blown workstation model and I would suggest the Dell Precision M6500 ...the Quadro FX880 graphics card should handle it no problems, but ...if you want the most juice you can spec them with an FX 1800 too, they come with high resolution displays, quad core processors and can have huge amounts of memory, the muts proverbials really. That'll do whatever he asks of it for a while, and being a precision is properly made too, since it's based on the Latitude chassis ...also comes with a 3 year warranty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom