Help Understanding the latest components

Associate
Hi all,

This thread is just for me to get an understand of the latest components.

CPU

At the moment i know that the conroe E6600 seems to be the best choice for new gaming pc's. So I would go with it. I also want to try overclocking when its neeeded and have read that it overclocks great.

When can we expect quad core to be out ? are they gonna be cheaper like the core 2 duo's that are out now ? compared the quad cores that are out now ?

GFX Cards

Im pretty new to this stuff about the latest graphics cards.

All I really know about the 8800 GTX is that its the latest and best so far. and thats what i tend to go on when buying components.

I want to be building a beast of a rig next year a bit after end of february and now im doing my research. Will the 8800 gtx be any cheaper around then ? or will new ones be out ?

At the time being its the 8800 gtx thats seems the best, but ive been reading threads and there seems to be others coming out. Something about g80 or along those lines. Im getting confused about this all and when they coming out.

Could you guys explain maybe what new graphics cards are coming out and what they are possibly or maybe there is a good thread that you could direct me too, to have a read.

I want to be able to understand all the new things to be sure that I make the best choice for a 1500 pound pc. ( With all you guys help too :D )

HDD's

I dont really know which is the best to be going with in terms of a hard drive, I would like to have a raptor but there are many people saying that the improvement in performance is nothing really to get excited about and you better off paying less and getting a larger 7200rpm drive.

I want to have a really fast system, and game loading times, so thought the raptor 74 would suit my needs, I would use another drive for storing data and just have windows and games on the 74 raptor. Im not sure about raid either, I wouldnt want to have the faster option where if 1 drive fails then all is lost.

Motherboard

I would like to learn more about which motherboards are the best choices at the moment, I do want to overclock in the future, but not that much, only ever if the system needs it. I dont understand all the different chipsets that are coming out and when we can expect to see them out.

I also have seen motherboards that say they have dual pci express slots for graphics. Is this for ati crossfire or nvidia sli ?

I would like to have the option to put in a second graphics card when things start to struggle in games.

Memory

I read somewhere on this forum that memory with a lower fsb will create a bottleneck in the system, is this true ? so it it advisable to get ram with same fsb as cpu ? or has what ive said tottaly bonkers ?

Whew,
I only want to mainly use it for gaming, thats all i really want to do on a pc.

Thanks for any help in advance, I hope I can get a good understanding from this.

CHeers

Saboy

Soldato
Seems to me like you already have a good understanding mate. If, like me you spend a few months researching, buy the gear and then lose interest in the technology for a good few months before upgrading again, do what I do and simply skim over the relevant sub-sections on the forum (CPU, Memory, GPU, etc) and after an hour or so and a cup of whatever preference you have, you're set.

I just did the same just now and am all clued up my next purchase.

E6300 (oC'ed to 3GHz+), AW9D-MAX (may opt for something different as the only PCI slot is blocked for X-Fi if I want to SLi) and some Geil 2GB 6400.

Back
Top Bottom