[HELP] Will an amp benefit my cans?

Associate
Sup sound city,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a few thoughts I've been having surrounding my audio setup. I'm no audiophile I've done a bit of reading on the matter but this is a place I truly trust so I figured I'd ask here. I've got a pair of AKG K550's, lovely set of cans I use these on my computer for gaming/music. I've got these connected directly into my soundcard an Asus D2, I'll post specs below. Anyway, I've been thinking of picking up a pair of AKG 7xx when they next drop on massdrop however I believe being 600 ohms they will need an amplifier. This has got me thinking of my current cans can they benefit from an amplifier from what I've read the general consensus seems to be a yes but I'd like to get peoples opinion from here. I listen to a lot of metal/rock. So two part question do you think I'll benefit from purchasing an amplifier and if I did I'd like to pick up a cheaper one to start maybe something in the range of £30 - £50 I've been looking at a few little bears what would you recommend in that range?

You probably get a plenty of these threads weekly but it's a subject I have very little experience in and unfortunately I don't have friends who own such audio equipment to test.

Appreciate the time taken to read this post and looking forward to your replies,

-Skeng

- K550
Frequency range: 12Hz to 28kHz
Sensitivity: 114dB SPL/V
Input impedance: 32 ohms
Maximum input power: 200mW

- ASUS D2
LINK - OCUK

Soldato
d2 has no amp at all so yes an amp will help should you upgrade to something that is beyond a 32 ohm pair.

to some extent an amp might give you a nicer sound anyway for your k550 but i would expect them to be powered just fine by the D2.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
d2 has no amp at all so yes an amp will help should you upgrade to something that is beyond a 32 ohm pair.

to some extent an amp might give you a nicer sound anyway for your k550 but i would expect them to be powered just fine by the D2.

Thanks, I think I'll just keep an eye on the market until something for the right price shows up or until I pick up a pair of headphone greater than 32 ohms. rather than jumping into it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom