**HELP, Windows 10 OS on SSD non RAID - RAID HDDs stopped working post win update**

Associate
Hi everyone,
I have windows 10 Pro (64bit) OS installed on an SSD which is my boot drive (non raid).
I have 4 HDDs bound as RAID members for my data.
The machine has been working without fault for a long time.
Post a windows update today my machine borked out.
Windows reported "Inaccessible_Boot_Device",
On reboot the BIOS boot screen had changed from standard output text referring to devices to a splash screen displaying the ASUS logo. I am pretty sure the setting in the bios had changed, which I find odd as normally the OS does not interfere with it.
When I now set the STORAGE CONFIGURATION set to IDE in the BIOS, I can successfully boot into windows via the NON RAID SATA drive.
When I set the STORAGE CONFIGURATION to RAID in the BIOS, the raid members (HDD) & the OS SSD are correctly identified in order and the OS SSD is identified as a non raid member. When windows boots, it falls over with the 'Inaccessible Boot device' error or 'Interrupt Exception not handled'.

If the bios sees the raid config correctly, why does windows not?
Intel RTS has stopped working (presumably because to launch windows I have had to set to IDE, therefor it does not see the raid drive).
I have tried the intel driver update tool and it seemed out of date, so I downloaded the latest version called 'Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant'.
It tells me to install 'Intel RST User Interface and Driver for Intel 5/6th generation platforms.
But when I do the install, it fails and says platform not supported, (is this also because the raid is not present?)
I cannot boot into windows when I have STORAGE CONFIG in BIOS set to raid.
I am unable to boot into windows with RAID set as on even with SAFEBOOT.

I am pretty certain my raid collection is in tact.
Any thoughts on how to get windows not to bork out and go back to normal.
I have already uninstalled the windows update but that has not resolved the issue.
I will have windows back ups on my NAS box but they are a few months old and I am keen to keep my current data.

I have an older ASUS p6T Deluxe V2,
- Chipset Intel, X58, Revision 12
- Southbridge Intel, 82801JR (ICH10R)
- LPCIO, Winbond, W83667HG
- Bios, American megatrends, 1108, 09/21/2010
- Memory, DDR3 6GB
- Processor Intel Core i7 920 bloomfield @2.67ghz
- GFX, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4gb GDDR6

Permabanned
Not sure if this is going to help but pre Win10 it was a bit of work to change from one mode to another.

Win10 is easy, example your are in AHCI Mode and want to change to raid mode to add storage drives but as you know this will cause Windows to fail to load.

MSCONFIG > Safe Mode, as you restart enter Bios and change modes then let it boot in to Safe Mode, then reboot into normal mode and its done.

You can then install proper Intel drivers if you want.

Associate
OP
Hi b00merang69,
Thank you for your reply, this worked, and then it didn't.
I was able to boot one time in safe mode with RAID set.
I then booted with safe mode off and it was successful, the drives were discoverable.
I updated the raid driver in windows and rebooted and now it's back to the same error message.
I booted back up into windows with storage set as ide and uninstalled the new raid driver with the intention if re installing the old driver but I am unable to boot to windows with raid set to reinstall the intel driver in windows.
Now I am back to square one as even with safe mode set to on, I get the error message with raid set.
Any further thoughts?

Permabanned
The driver must have caused it, Roll back driver in safe mode or system restore to before it.

I had this issues a few weeks back and had to use an older driver.

Associate
OP
I cannot get it to work. I uninstalled the intel RST which has not resovled the issue and now as i cannot boot with raid, i can no longer install RST.
I have a spare USB pen drive & a spare windows 10 pro license which i think i will use as a temp measure to get it all working and take a back up that is current rather than last months back up.
I know how to get windows to run directly from the pen drive using Win_To_USB app but I do not know how to do this and include the raid drivers...
I can get the win 10 running from the USB & with the BIOS in RAID mode so it cannot be too hard but I assume it still needs the install of the win 10 ISO to the usb drive to include the raid drivers.
I will start a new thread with a new title to see if this attracts more attention.
Thanks for your help, feel free to comment in either of the threads if you have the answer to my latest rescue question.

Back
Top Bottom