• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help with a power cable!?

Associate
I’m having a freakout here. Got a sweet new graphics card from OC that needs a power cable and I think I binned the box that my the original modular power supply came in along with all the additional cables! My old card didn’t require additional power so didn't think I would need it. A bit of a dum-dum move that! So, I ordered a graphic card power cable from Amazon that looked the part but turns out not as the ports don’t match! Now I have no idea what to do? Please can anyone suggest where I can get a cable here? I’ve uploaded a diagram here. Thanks!!

pc-cable.jpg

Soldato
Hi there, that's annoying regarding the cable you purchased, the only other place to get it from would be the famous auction site but again you may end up in the same situation with it not fitting.

I have just retired my old Corsair HX620 PSU so I will check to see what connectors that has for the PCI-e as I don't know whether Corsair changed their connections in the 10 years since I bought mine.

/edit

Just to add to this, I have had a look at my PSU and the connection at the PSU end has only 6 pins as opposed to the 8 that you have.

If you fancied goind full braided and getting the set then I see that OcUK have them however they're not cheap

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=corsair+cable

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks like you've bought an 8-pin EPS cable. You want a PCIe cable.

A Google search for 'RM850 PCI express cable' returns loads of hits. There may have been more than one version of that power supply so make sure any cable is correct BEFORE you power anything up. There's no standard for these cables between manufacturers or even different models from the same manufacturer.

Did you try asking Corsair?

Associate
OP
So I've managed to find a few cables that match all but 1 pin! That's so annoying. It looks like it's an issue with the graphic card port and not the power supply. I can't see the 6+2 clearly whether it's different? So hard. A lot of the cable adverts don't show clear pics of the pins. The power supply is only 4 years old and the graphics card brand new. What are the chances of getting a response from Radeon, or is it Gigabyte?

pc-cable2.jpg

Soldato
You could look for one of the third party individually sleeved cables you can buy. They’re expensive for what they are but most likely significantly cheaper that what you linked. No guarantee that they’ll ever come back into stock either.

If you get really stuck you could buy a SATA or Molex to PCIe adapter cable and power it that way. Not ideal, but should cost < £5.

Back
Top Bottom