Help with installing reversing camera

Soldato
Was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice with the wiring of a reversing camera in my Fiat Ducato van (exciting eh), which I've yet to purchase I might add

I own a chinese style android headunit that has a colour screen, so it will be wired into that. When I stick the van into reverse, the screen changes to a screen with an icon that's basically waiting for a camera, so it's all good from that point of view

It's just the power wiring that I'm getting stuck with.

The unit has a long extension that combines video and power in the same wire. So from the looks of it, I need to find some power behind the headunit

But lots of people seem to mention wiring it to the reverse light, so it gets turned on when stuck in reverse. But how I am supposed to do this ? Run another cable from the reverse light all the way to the headunit? Seems a bit mad!

Any advice?

Many thanks!

J3iarQq.jpg

Soldato
All you need to do is run your power from the reverse light wire near the light cluster to the camera and find yourself a good earth. You will the run the video cable only through to the head unit

I guess this might need a slightly longer route in a van than a car depending on whether the reverse light is on the door (which I assume is where the camera will be), but so long as there is some wiring running back there, for example for the number plate lights going through a bung at the door you can just route the new cable through that to keep it neat

Soldato
You also need to worry about it switching automatically to reverse camera mode. I did this in my Mazda 3 a while ago, wired the power to the reverse light and video cable to the unit and had a trigger to switch to video when reverse was on

Back
Top Bottom