Help with Mini ITX set up

Associate
Hi Guys, I’m looking to put together a small and quite computer to link into my TV via HDMI, probably a Mini ITX set up (ideally including an infrared remote).

The components can probably be fairly low end as it will only be used for streaming movies and occasional web browsing. Looking to get an idea of what components I should go for (looking to go as cheap as possible whilst still enabling me to steam effectively in HD).

Also I have a few components from an old computer (a Core 2 Duo Socket 775 Intel Processor and some DDR 2 RAM), in an ideal world I would like to save some cash and reuse these components however I know I might struggle to get a compatible set up.

Thanks for any help.

Associate
OP
My budget is £300 max.

Looking to make it as small a system as possible so mini ITX would be better.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
Associate
YOUR BASKET
1 x ASRock FM2A75M-ITX AMD A75 Chipset (Socket FM2) DDR3 Mini ITX Motherboard £73.99
1 x Intel 330 Series 60GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - Retail £59.99
1 x Thermaltake Element Q mini-ITX HTPC Case - 220W Power Supply £56.99
1 x AMD A6-5400K Black Edition 3.60GHz (Socket FM2) APU Trinity Dual Core Processor (AD540KOKHJBOX) £49.99
1 x Patriot Viper "Black Mamba" Generation 3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-15000C9 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit (PV38G186C9K) £41.99

I have the CPU and Mono in this list, works well but the stock cooler is a little lout if you have no music/TV on..
1 x Samsung SH-224BB/BEBE 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM £17.99
Total : £312.94 (includes shipping : £10.00).

Over slightly. If you have a sata HDD and optical drive that will save you cash

Associate
If you only want to stream, have you considered a Raspberry Pi with XBMC/Raspbmc on it?

Costs 35 quid, streams in HD to HDMI and has airplay along with apps for youtube etc. You can apparently get iPlayer on it (although I never bothered), and it's ideal for streaming from the internet or a PC somewhere in your house.

It's not great for web browsing, but is dirt cheap and you can use a smartphone as the remote. It's also 100% passively cooled so is completely silent, and is properly tiny - you could hide it pretty much anywhere near the monitor.

Associate
OP
I have the CPU and Mono in this list, works well but the stock cooler is a little lout if you have no music/TV on..

Can anyone suggest an alternative cooler that would be quieter?

Also I'm looking to watch tv through this system, could anyone suggest a good television tuner?

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom