Help with new build for video editing

Associate
Hi all,

Hoping you can help me put together a new build for a friend, primarily used for editing 4k video (After Effects and Cinema 4D), with a budget between £3-4k (obviously the cheaper, the better).

Currently his wish list includes something like the following (though these parts are not set in stone should better options be available or if this would be overkill for what he is doing), as well as the rest of the components to get this up and running;

Intel i9 9900k,
64GB DDR4-2666Mhz RAM,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080,
512GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD (for OS),
512GB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD,
1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD

Any help would be awesome, as I'm at a bit of a loss as to what kind of machine he would need to do this kind of work.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Welcome aboard.

Unless your friend's current PC is falling to pieces I would suggest waiting for month and release of Zen2 Ryzens.
Because that soon four year old architecture CPU is grossly overpriced even now and likely only mainstream level after Zen2 release.
Fair £300 level likely gets clearly more powerfull CPU.
And certainly lot less security leaky and firmware/OS/software patches needing...
Intel simply hasn't bothered to fix short cuts taken in their very old speculative code execution.

And £500 level might get 16 core/32 thread model, which would shred 9900K to pieces and pee on its grave in video encoding.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the welcome!

Didn’t even consider AMD to be honest, so if Zen2 will be as good as you say, definitely worth mentioning -
All depends how desperately he needs the new build (think he is working from a Mac currently).

As far as other components go, any suggestions on what would or could be needed?

Thanks again though!

Associate
Sound advice on waiting if possible. Right now both those programs favour Intel according to Puget tests, but if Zen 2 is able to perform as people are hoping then it is absolutely worth waiting for. Even if it just matches rather than beats intel for cheaper it is worth the wait.

As for other components, I would find out if your friend can wait or not and go from there. If they can, then by the time they come to buy the recommended components (based on price vs performance) may be very different from those recommended today.

Associate
OP
So I’ve asked the question and he can’t wait as his current machine is crashing regularly when trying to work. Seems a shame, as Zen2 would have been interesting.

With that said then, any recommendations from you guys as to what specs/builds I could suggest to him, would be an awesome help.

Really appreciate you guys getting back to me so quickly! Very kind of you!

Soldato
So I’ve asked the question and he can’t wait as his current machine is crashing regularly when trying to work. Seems a shame, as Zen2 would have been interesting.

With that said then, any recommendations from you guys as to what specs/builds I could suggest to him, would be an awesome help.

Really appreciate you guys getting back to me so quickly! Very kind of you!

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...CC-2019-CPU-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-vs-Mac-1297/

intel still king with adobe, specially aftereffects an lightroom ! if your unable to wait like esat suggested then Intel 9900k is a good shout and overclock it !

would also recommend using Davinci resolve as it uses hardware better! can drive a better GPU to give better results!

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-CC-2019-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-Performance-1270/

can see above, no point going above RTX 2060 unless doing 4k work for extra VRam, with Resolve you'd want to be chucking RTX 2080Ti in there !

Zen2 did come out very well with early shown testing, Ran on Cinibench R15.... then a newer version came out and Ryzen 2*** series got beaten by Intel, before hand Ryzen would match or beat . with pricing of Ryzen- everyone says it'll be cheap. what they dont mention is prices can shoot up and most likely will with supply and demand ! resellers do not have to stick to recommended retail pricing.
think asus staff on here playing around with it (writing review guide) and know some aorus reps having some testing , interesting times

still under budget - rtx 2080ti to squeeze every ounce of performance - again still recommend switching software.
1tb nvme for OS/Apps and scratch disk with dual 2TB HDD in RAID 1 for back up!

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,737.75 (includes shipping: £15.90)

silent case- silent system. UK RMA and warranty on the parts with 4 yrs for the GPU

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ye that doesn’t look too bad at all.

I think he is restricted in the software he can use (don’t quote me on that though) as it will be used at his place of work, though I will mention resolve as a better alternative.

If resolve couldn’t be used, would a 2060 or 2080 suffice for 4K work, or would you recommend sticking with a 2080 ti?

Soldato
Ye that doesn’t look too bad at all.

I think he is restricted in the software he can use (don’t quote me on that though) as it will be used at his place of work, though I will mention resolve as a better alternative.

If resolve couldn’t be used, would a 2060 or 2080 suffice for 4K work, or would you recommend sticking with a 2080 ti?

2070/2080 most likely for VRam with 4k editing/rendering .

2080ti would come into its own once Adobe codes for Tensor cores , but no idea when that would happen

Associate
OP
Awesome, thank you.

Looks like there's not a vast amount of difference in the 2070 and 2080 from the AE benchmarks, if this is what he goes for.

I will stop asking questions soon I promise, but would it be worthwhile saving some cash by getting the 2070 and putting this into grabbing hold of another SSD?

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome, thank you.

Looks like there's not a vast amount of difference in the 2070 and 2080 from the AE benchmarks, if this is what he goes for.

I will stop asking questions soon I promise, but would it be worthwhile saving some cash by getting the 2070 and putting this into grabbing hold of another SSD?

1tb nvme drive , specially when its fast should be enough for OS/Apps and scratch drive. once a workload is complete, should be moved to HDD or NAS in RAID for backup/storage

another quiet case

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-eclipse-p600s-silent-midi-tower-case-black-ca-08v-pt.html

Associate
OP
Brill, thank you so much guys, you've been amazing!

Will relay all this so that they can discuss at work and hopefully get to building it for him soon.

Back
Top Bottom