Help with new build please

Associate
Hello,

I'm looking to build a new PC for mainly work and possibly video editing, I was thinking of using the Intel Core i9-9900 cpu.

The budget is between £600 - £750.

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Associate
That's quite a tight budget considering the cost of the CPU will be around half of that already.

Do you have any parts that you could use from an existing PC (e.g. PSU or storage drives) or do you need to buy everything?

Associate
OP
I don't have any spare parts unfortunately...

The video editing I think i'll stick with it on my MacBook for now so I won't need a graphics card for this build.

If the cost is higher than what i've outlined i'll certainly consider it but I just wanted to get a rough idea of the parts I would need. Thank you

Associate
OP
There will be 2 monitors, it's mainly to VPN into work but also a lot of playing around with VMs in my spare time.

For work it won't be VPN all the time as i'll need to work with large spreadsheets last cally too.

Man of Honour
AMD build which you would need to add a gpu but you will be able to video edit also.

3700x £300 8 core16 thread
32gb 3200mhz ram £100
Case 50 your choice
Motherboard b520 £67
Psu BITFENIX FORMULA SERIES 450W 80 PLUS GOLD POWER SUPPLY £60
1tb m2 ssd £110

@Sparx @Plec @Gray2233 may have more input .

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD build which you would need to add a gpu but you will be able to video edit also.

3700x £300 8 core16 thread
32gb 3200mhz ram £100
Case 50 your choice
Motherboard b520 £67
Psu BITFENIX FORMULA SERIES 450W 80 PLUS GOLD POWER SUPPLY £60
1tb m2 ssd £110

@Sparx @Plec @Gray2233 may have more input .

Not too bad an idea but the OP would need a GPU as the 3700X doesn't come with one built in.

If the OP isn't in any rush we might see prices come down a little when the new Ryzen 4000/5000 chips launch, which I believe is next month.

If you can't wait that long and need the system now, something along these lines would be solid for VM work and video editing:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £760.89 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Depending on the software you use for video editing, you might be better off spending a bit more on a better GPU for acceleration.

I'm not 100% on that motherboard just yet so I'd hang fire until someone can give you more input or I get the chance to look into it a bit more for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL -beat me to it.

I was compiling a similar spec, as I got a request from @mickyflinn in a different thread (which he's now trapped in :D). Was considering 3600 but erred towards more cores/threads too.

Poor guy!

Tbh I was looking at an Intel build but even with the ramped up 3700X prices it still comes out as £60-100 + more expensive and has no upgrade path.

I would really try and wait to see how much the new 5700X or whatever costs in a few weeks over spending £340 on a 3700X at this point in time.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Thank you for all the replies.

So i'm guessing going down the Intel route is a no no? is it because of price/value for money?

I initially said i'll be using 2 monitors however I may need 3 in future if that changes anything.

I don't mind waiting a few weeks to see the prices of the new processors.

Soldato
Hi all,

Thank you for all the replies.

So i'm guessing going down the Intel route is a no no? is it because of price/value for money?

I initially said i'll be using 2 monitors however I may need 3 in future if that changes anything.

I don't mind waiting a few weeks to see the prices of the new processors.

In most cases outside of gaming AMD is offering a flat out superior product right now, and they're doing it for less money to boot.

Waiting is a good idea if you can, the prices of current gen CPU's have been spiking like mad lately and just aren't worth it at current values with the advent of a new line up.

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

The new AMD processors have been released so was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to build using the older CPUs or newer ones?

Soldato
Wow, I've just checked the forum and it seems its quite a mess... nothing has changed in regards to criteria and you're right, I'll think about what @Gray2233 suggested.

Thank you for the reply.

Everything is a mess at the moment, stock issues everywhere and rising prices.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £763.88 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Similar to the earlier spec but with some tweaks such as a better GPU which supports 4K resolution should you ever use it.

Associate
OP
Hello,

Sorry just wanted to ask, I've seen that there's a bit more stock of the newer AMD CPUs now and was thinking of doing a build around the RYZEN 5 5600X SIX CORE 4.6GHZ, would someone be able to help with suitable parts i.e. motherboard, RAM etc?

I've held out from buying the older Ryzen but now really looking to get this built.

Any help will be much appreciated, many thanks.

Soldato
Hello,

Sorry just wanted to ask, I've seen that there's a bit more stock of the newer AMD CPUs now and was thinking of doing a build around the RYZEN 5 5600X SIX CORE 4.6GHZ, would someone be able to help with suitable parts i.e. motherboard, RAM etc?

I've held out from buying the older Ryzen but now really looking to get this built.

Any help will be much appreciated, many thanks.

Are your requirements (including budget) the same, or is this for a different build?

I'm back and forth a lot at the moment so I'm not sure if I've the time to look into the best for your budget. I will get back to you if nobody else does, but it may be a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom