Help with overclocking 8700k on ASROCK Fatal1ty Gaming K6

Associate
Hey all!

So I have an 8700k and a noctua dh-15 with an asrock z370 Fatal1ty Gaming k6 with the latest 1.71a beta bios drivers and I do game for hours at a time when I play. I'm totally new to overclocking but have done a fair amount of reading and have a few questions!!

So, first of all I'm using furmark ROG using the cpu burner, CPUID for temps and voltages, as well as using windows perfmance to make sure I'm hitting the speeds

- I have enabled performance power settings in windows (Do I need to have this set?? I like the idea of being able to have low speeds while not using the system, or is it best just to enable this as well as switch over to the OC mode from BIOS when I'm wanting to do a games session??)
- When I enabled the auto 4.7 boost overclock from the board, I noticed that when stressing my temps were going to almost mid 80's, and my volts were 1.38-1.39! So I then went into BIOS and set them to max of 1.3V and it seems stable and temps sitting more around 75-80
- For my stressing setting (haven't done it too much, wanted to check on the forums before I go any further!), I got to 5GHz with 1.32V and temps sitting around 80-84 degrees. I then got a little cocky and tried to start altering some of the Vcore load line calibration settings??? and got a crash so semi freaked out at changing new stuff!!

So pretty much my questions are

- What BIOS (Voltage core drop, Load line calibration, any others??) and windows settings should I have to best hit 5, or 5.1GHz, so that I can preferably get the lowest CPU usage when it's not being stressed.
- What temps does my CPU start to throttle and is 100% fan speed ok to run for prolonged periods of time. I have the fan speeds to max out at 80 degrees celcius
- Why does the auto boost to 1.4v and throw the temps right up, and if it's best to use 2 BIOS settings depending on what I'm doing, should I just leave it enabled along with the 1.3V core limit?

Soldato
LLC6 is generally preferred.
100c your CPU will throttle, you really don't want it up near there all the time. Delidding will knock 20c off.
Auto throws whatever voltage it can to ensure it's stable and will alter based on temps, it really isn't possible to fry a CPU/GPU nowadays as they'll throttle before damage occurs.
It doesn't need to be in performance mode, just means it changes frequency when it detects load, entirely up to you.

Sounds like you're doing just fine so far!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply and vote of confidence! :)

I'd considered deliddling but I thought I'd probably break the thing! :)

What about this amx setting? Someone recommended a negative 3 offset?

I've started getting coil from my gpu :/ didn't notice it prior to today :(

Soldato
mine's not changed. AMX just throttles down if it gets too hot, -3 = 300mhz underclock. May as well put it on.

Delidding is very easy, just need to make sure the cpu glue is cleaned off.

Back
Top Bottom