Help with poor gaming performance

Associate
Hi,

Rebuilt 12 year old son's PC as he was complaining about performance playing Fortnite!

Fresh install of everything and latest firmware/drivers all installed.

Any tips to benchmark and see what may be an issue and able to improve? System seems fairly decent spec but just don't seem to be getting smooth gaming.

Specs are
ASUS X99-PRO
Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
3x ASUS MG28U monitor on DP
16 GB (4x Corsair CMK16GX4M4B3000C15)
1Tb SSD

Any tips would be helpful for Dad points!

Thanks.

Soldato
Funnily enough I'm getting seriously bad stuttering / fps with spec in sig, all at stock done a full windows install. Doesn't matter what settings I use the FPS will tank up and down. Even my previous 2080ti did it, no other game causes me issues like this. Any ideas?

Soldato
3x ASUS MG28U monitor on DP

Your running 3 4k monitors? No wonder performance has tanked.

Try running just one monitor and turn down any advanced settings like Ray Tracing.

Edit
Just looked at some benchmark results for Fortnite and I'm shocked. How can a game that looks like Fortnite run so badly?!? At 4k you should be able to get close to 60fps by dropping settings down to high.

Last edited:
Associate
I believe I'm getting similar issues since the game update 2 days ago. 95% of the time I get 144fps. About 5% of the time it stutters right down to 55, 30, 15 I've seen. It's so bad when in close combat. I've blamed my GPU, CPU (reseated) and now I'm thinking it's bad coding. No amount of lowering settings does anything to help. It might even be server-side stuff.

Soldato
Your running 3 4k monitors? No wonder performance has tanked.

Try running just one monitor and turn down any advanced settings like Ray Tracing.

Edit
Just looked at some benchmark results for Fortnite and I'm shocked. How can a game that looks like Fortnite run so badly?!? At 4k you should be able to get close to 60fps by dropping settings down to high.

ray tracing.

Saying that, a 3080 is struggling with RTX and DLSS on at 1440p , something is up there.

Associate
ray tracing.

Saying that, a 3080 is struggling with RTX and DLSS on at 1440p , something is up there.
I think I've sussed it. I tried the settings in the video post above. Made no difference. There is a new driver out today, update it. But the main thing for Fortnite is changing it to DirectX 12. Close game and Load it up again. Now adjust display settings as you want and it's better. Not perfect but much better with overall smoothness improved and minimal shuttering. Fortnite is still Fortnite right?!

Soldato
Hi,

Rebuilt 12 year old son's PC as he was complaining about performance playing Fortnite!

Fresh install of everything and latest firmware/drivers all installed.

Any tips to benchmark and see what may be an issue and able to improve? System seems fairly decent spec but just don't seem to be getting smooth gaming.

Specs are
Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz
Thanks.

Don't know how confident you are or if you have ever done it, but overclocking that 5820k should hit 4.2 easily. When I had mine I was able to hit 4.6 and stable but kept it at 4.4 for long term usage.

Back
Top Bottom