Henry v Van Nistelrooy??

Soldato
OP
By the way there was a bit of a story awhile ago about henry not signing a new contract for arsenal yet ? if i remeber rightly which I probably am not his contract is up in the summer ?

i dont think his contract is up - Henry himself said that he wanted to stay at arsenal for as long as they wanted him because they gave him the chance to prove himself the talent that he is. He sees Wenger as a father and therefore, i cannot see him leaving arsenal for as long as Arsene is there :D

bad news for u utd fans out there :p hehe - if Utd get Shevchenko though, then Henry will have a serious contender for the greatest striker crown cos that guy is awesome

Hinch

Soldato
Originally posted by dirtydog
I'm fairly sure RvN has got a CL hat-trick but I couldn't swear to it..

Anyway I have to say.. (and not aimed at you in particular Jazz) why does it have to be 'who is best' out of Henry and RvN? They are both outstanding strikers.. nuff said!

I will swear to it, he already has a euro hat trick from when he was playing at PSV.

He also scored more league goals in less appearences than Henry this season, and has 2 more european goals than Henry this season, AND has a better Strike rate at a goal every 1.29 games as opposed to Henrys goal every 2 games.

AAAAnd last season, dispite being beaten by 1 goal to the league top scorers title, he scored MORE goals than Henry in all competions, in 1 less game with 10 euro goals to Henrys 7 AND with a strike rate of a goal every 1.37 games as opposed to Henrys goal every 1.53.
Henry has 22 Euro goals in 3 seasons with the Arse-a-nil Ruud has 16 in 2 seasons with united and 26 goals in the CL in his Carear so far.
Those are the FACTS Ruud has scored more, in less games, than Henry.

Last edited:

DirtyBerty

D

DirtyBerty

Originally posted by atpbx
Those are the FACTS Ruud has scored more, in less games, than Henry.

Seeing as you seem to have all the statistics.. what were their assist statistics for last season? (out of curiosity) ;)

Associate
Originally posted by DirtyBerty
Seeing as you seem to have all the statistics.. what were their assist statistics for last season? (out of curiosity) ;)

ASSISTS! we're talking STRIKERS here.

Ask Jimmy Geaves, Dennis Law et al about assists and they would just laugh at you:D Getting the ball into that "onion bag" is the name of the game and RvN does it extremely well!

And from the stats quoted by atpbx, he does it a lot better than Henry:D

Man of Honour
Originally posted by hethers
ASSISTS! we're talking STRIKERS here.

Ask Jimmy Geaves, Dennis Law et al about assists and they would just laugh at you:D Getting the ball into that "onion bag" is the name of the game and RvN does it extremely well!

And from the stats quoted by atpbx, he does it a lot better than Henry:D

Erm, football is a team game first and foremost. Yes, the job of a striker is to score, but also to create goals for his strike partner. This is something Henry does miles better than RvN. As I said in another thread, when RvN isn't scoring, he still doesn't lay that much on, but Henry lays goals on all the time whether he puts the ball away or not.

I'd like to see the pure stats for how many goals each was involved in directly, either by scoring it or by putting it away. I would guess that Henry would win in that stat.

Soldato
most of henry's assists arent direct

this year henry has 5 assists and 12 key passes

this year rvn has 4 assists and 10 key passes

lasy yr henry had 5 assists and 76 key passes

last yr rvn had 4 assists and 41 key passes

as we can see rvn also helps out with passes but looking at them play it is much more obvious that henry is much better at it, those figures flatter rvn more than anything

Last edited:
Man of Honour
this season according to Yahoo.

2002 Henry Played 14 scored 7 Assists 5 Shots on target 25
2001 Played 33 scored 24 Assists 5 SOT 62

2002 RVN Played 13 Scored 8 Assists 1 Shots On Target 18
2001 Played 32 Scored 23 Assists 4 Shots on target 42

Now in my opinion having a Striker who both score a few goals and gets a few assists or having a striker who scores a lot of goals and gets a few assists. I would have the latter.

By these stats there is not a lot to choose between either of them

The one thing I will have to say is it would appear RVN has a much better strike rate when it comes to SOT against goals

Henry 2002 = 28% 2001 = 38%
RVN 2002 = 44% 2001 = 56%

As assists go I think its fair to say that so far this season Henry wins outright but last season there was only one asisst in it.

Therefore at the moment the assist argument is very weak its not like henry is doing much better overall than RVN.

Man of Honour
also an interesting statistic is

failed passes

henry 2001 - 371 2002 - 157
RVN 2001 - 188 2002 - 70

so it would appear that RVN gives the ball away a lot less.

Jazz where did you get your RVN asisst Stats from for this season ?

Associate
Well lads, for me a striker is a striker, is a striker; someone that you can rely on to get that ball in the net time after time. RvN is GREAT at that! One of the best in the world and on current values very well worth the money paid for him. So I'm a happy bunny and we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.:D

By the way, Jazz. Haven't you got two pieces of coursework to do?:D :D

Soldato
ive noticed that a lot of u guys seem to rate the likes of shevchenko and ronaldo.

shevchenko while scoring some great goals, isnt that much of a goal machine as compared to the likes of RvN and Henry. lets not forget he is playing in a league that is inferior to ours.

also who was the top goal scorer in italy last year? and how far was shevchenko from the top? surely if shevchenko is this good, he should be no.1 goal scorer in italy pretty much every year? in fact has he ever been italy's no.1?

when he first moved to milan, those were the years where he really shone. but since then, he has gone a bit downhill. he is still top class, but perhaps he needs a new challenge now, to get him going.

that said, i would love him to move to man utd, cuz he has pace, strength and shooting accuracy, so he would be better than forlan ;)

also ronaldo's form has been patchy, he doesnt score much now due to injury. when not injured he is great, but these days he always seems to be injured. part of a player's make up is how resilient he is to injury and while he is great for country, for club, ronaldo fails to flatter.

he has been injured now since 1998, and still hasnt recovered. i wonder if he will ever recover.

i feel that a lot of you seem to rate other leagues automatically higher than our own. no longer is that true. only spain has a better league than ours (based on EU performances). we are now no.2 and im sure we can make no.1...in time.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by sunama
also ronaldo's form has been patchy, he doesnt score much now due to injury. when not injured he is great, but these days he always seems to be injured. part of a player's make up is how resilient he is to injury and while he is great for country, for club, ronaldo fails to flatter.

he has been injured now since 1998, and still hasnt recovered. i wonder if he will ever recover.

Unfortunately for Ronaldo snapping your patella tendon is something he may never recover fully from. Like I said though, he's been out for the best part of 2 1/2 years so his body is likely to react the way it has done with small niggling injuries (thigh strains, ankle injuries). Give him till around Easter or so, if he's not fully fit by then he may never recover fully, which would be a great shame. A fully fit Ronaldo is a joy to watch and undoubtedlty the best player in the world.

Soldato
Originally posted by sunama
i feel that a lot of you seem to rate other leagues automatically higher than our own. no longer is that true. only spain has a better league than ours (based on EU performances). we are now no.2 and im sure we can make no.1...in time.

our top 4 teams

Arsenal
man u
liverpool
newcastle

Spanish

Valancia
Real madrid
Barca (not looking good at the moment but they will improve)
Deportivo

Their teams are stronger, arsenal and man can compete but liverpool and newcastle cant, they might be able to get something at home but im afraid their chances away from home are very very slim.

Spanish is an attacking league, italien defensive, english is more balanced dunno if its better but its as good, there teams have had much more experience

shevchenko has hardly played all season due to injury and inzaghi's super form has kept him on the bench.

Just coz Ronaldo has a severe injury it doesnt mean he is always injured, its down more to being unfortunate then coz rvn got back on form after injury u think anyone else who takes longer is not good, i disagree like davey said 2.5 yrs of his life have been ruined thats 2.5 times more than rvn so u have to give it time. At man u every chance is given to rvn at madrid it isnt, i dont think rvn would score as many for real coz in their teams they have loads of others who can finish in man u they rely just on him

Associate
Originally posted by Davey_Pitch
Unfortunately for Ronaldo snapping your patella tendon is something he may never recover fully from. Like I said though, he's been out for the best part of 2 1/2 years so his body is likely to react the way it has done with small niggling injuries (thigh strains, ankle injuries). Give him till around Easter or so, if he's not fully fit by then he may never recover fully, which would be a great shame. A fully fit Ronaldo is a joy to watch and undoubtedlty the best player in the world.

its pretty unlikely that ronaldo will ever get that knee back to how it was prior to injury, ligaments and tendons have poor regrowth at the best of times and scar tissue formation in the area causes less power and more weakness to stresses

Man of Honour
Originally posted by stegga1000000
its pretty unlikely that ronaldo will ever get that knee back to how it was prior to injury, ligaments and tendons have poor regrowth at the best of times and scar tissue formation in the area causes less power and more weakness to stresses

I know, it's something I can testify to after snapping my lateral ligament several years ago. It can still heal well enough for him to play at the highest level though, he just needs to make doubly sure he warms his knee up and down properly to minimise the dangers (as much as possible in a contact sport anyway) :)

Soldato
Originally posted by Jazz
our top 4 teams

Arsenal
man u
liverpool
newcastle

Spanish

Valancia
Real madrid
Barca (not looking good at the moment but they will improve)
Deportivo

Their teams are stronger, arsenal and man can compete but liverpool and newcastle cant, they might be able to get something at home but im afraid their chances away from home are very very slim.

Spanish is an attacking league, italien defensive, english is more balanced dunno if its better but its as good, there teams have had much more experience

shevchenko has hardly played all season due to injury and inzaghi's super form has kept him on the bench.

Just coz Ronaldo has a severe injury it doesnt mean he is always injured, its down more to being unfortunate then coz rvn got back on form after injury u think anyone else who takes longer is not good, i disagree like davey said 2.5 yrs of his life have been ruined thats 2.5 times more than rvn so u have to give it time. At man u every chance is given to rvn at madrid it isnt, i dont think rvn would score as many for real coz in their teams they have loads of others who can finish in man u they rely just on him

like i said we are no.2, only behind spain, in 2 yrs this could all change (i hope). we are seeing other premier league teams improving now. lol even everton are in champ league qualifiying position!

schevchenko: this season he hasnt played much agreed. so we cant judge him on this season, but what happened last season. where did he finish in the goal scorers charts in italy? anyone know?

as far as ronaldo being injured: resistance to injury is part of the make up of a player/sportsman. im sure there are players that we've not even heard of who might have had claim to being the among the best players in the world, had they never ever had an injury. alas, its part of sport and as a sportsman, u must learn to nurse yourself through injury. a sportsman must do good work during competition as well as behind the scenes (physiotherapy, warmups, muscle strengthening, etc). if u were to take injury out of the equation, then we might possibly include bergkamp as the best player in the world, but over the yrs, that guy has consistent niggles. we could also add duncan ferguson (in the air he has no equal), im sure the list would get longer and longer, so its unfair that the only player that gets "extra" allowances for being injured is ronaldo. i judge players from what i see on the pitch and i have to say, for club, for the last few yrs, i havent seen much from the guy. when fit, ronaldo is great, but fact is, he isnt fit.

while henry and RvN are getting their hatricks etc, ronaldo isnt. plain and simple.

note: RvN is also currently going through a spate of minor injuries, he isnt 100%, yet he is still scoring goals galore.

Back
Top Bottom