Here it is the new BMW M2

Man of Honour
If the car is a limited run

Why would it be? It's designed to be a volume seller - the only thing that would limit its run is lack of demand surely? There won't be 100,000 of them but only because there isn't enough demand to sell 100,000 of them.

It's nothing like the restricted production of the 1M.

Limited production alone isn't enough to guarantee cast iron residuals. There are less F10 535i's than there are 1M's and they are certainly not still worth £35k:D

Soldato
To save you guessing at the numbers Sam here's the quote I got:

£10,000 deposit over 3 Years based 10,000 miles per year, the monthly payments are £635.48 with optional final payment of £23,674.86.

Nothing I have seen suggests that the M2 is in any way limited production. There was a rumour that the planned volume for the UK was 500 per year, but there's nothing to suggest that number won't increase if the demand is there for it.

Soldato
I would be seriously uncomfortable paying £50k for an M2, as I would an RS3 or A45. £50k!!!!

Agree, which is why I'm not. It's just too much money, M3 can be had for similar money, and the M235i / M135i is not THAT much of a lesser car*, especially on the public road, and is <£35k.

*Granted, on track the M2 will be significantly better

Soldato
Agree, which is why I'm not. It's just too much money, M3 can be had for similar money, and the M235i / M135i is not THAT much of a lesser car*, especially on the public road, and is <£35k.

*Granted, on track the M2 will be significantly better

It is getting to the point where you could buy a pure road only car and a road legal track car for around the same price as one of the top end hyper hatches/coupes.

I.e. Buy a x35i for around £30k and a modified M3 track car for £15-20k (Gibbo's M3 for example). Granted two cars is less convenient but I imagine Gibbo's track M3 is more fun on a track than the M2?

Accepted the M2 wins on bragging rights :D

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28830522 said:
Why would it be? It's designed to be a volume seller - the only thing that would limit its run is lack of demand surely? There won't be 100,000 of them but only because there isn't enough demand to sell 100,000 of them.

Limited production alone isn't enough to guarantee cast iron residuals. There are less F10 535i's than there are 1M's and they are certainly not still worth £35k:D

They're worth what people are prepared to pay for them. So far that is between 35k-40k+.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Thats only because the 1M was a proper limited edition car. The M2 won't be limited.

[TW]Fox;28830522 said:

The M2 isn't limited

I have a fully refundable £1,000 deposit down on the M2. I have done this on the basis that the car is going to be on a limited run over 3/4 years. Rumour is 2000 units to the UK but that hasn't been officially confirmed yet. If it turns out that the production is unrestricted then i will take my deposit back and look at an M3/4.

What has been confirmed so far is for 2016 most dealers are only getting 2 cars with a few of the larger dealers getting 4.

With regular 2-series produced at BMW's Leipzig facility, and no dedicated line for the M2, M division will convert cars at a separate workshop. This means numbers will be limited, and BMW UK says it'll be 'lucky to get 400-500'.

http://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/2-series/16801/watch-bmw-m2-on-track-at-anglesey

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So the car isn't good enough for you to want one for what it is, you only want one if not many other people can have one?

I'd just buy that M3/M4.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Mr Fox

I didn't say the car wasn't good enough for me. If the car isn't a limited production run i think with the discounts and finance on offer the M4 could be better value for money. If the car is on a limited run then i think it will hold stronger residuals and therefore cost me less over 3 years which brings it back into the room.

Soldato
I was under the impression the 1m was primarily limited due to the fact it basically was a parts bin from the m3 and Bmw had budgeted the numbers based on anticipated m3 production. In fact if I recall correctly it was initially speculated 2000 or so would be produced but in reality it was closer to 6000 due to having more parts and demand than expected

It doesn't look like the M2 will suffer from the same problems apart from simply production capacity not meeting demand. They may be limited in terms of actual production output but I suspect if there is demand Bmw will keep churning them out.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Best get your deposit back make. Because it won't be a limited edition car

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/19/bmw-m2-production-begins-in-leipzig/

I will leave my deposit for the moment until something official is announced, it would be moronic to remove it until i have too.

Truth is neither of us know the facts here as nothing has been announced by BMW :)

Sam, your deposit is only refundable up until the dealer gets a build date for the car. I was told that in reality this is likely to be effectively until the end of February, early March.

Yep i fully understand this, i am second on the list so my dealer will be in touch when a build date is confirmed.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
I was under the impression the 1m was primarily limited due to the fact it basically was a parts bin from the m3 and Bmw had budgeted the numbers based on anticipated m3 production. In fact if I recall correctly it was initially speculated 2000 or so would be produced but in reality it was closer to 6000 due to having more parts and demand than expected

It doesn't look like the M2 will suffer from the same problems apart from simply production capacity not meeting demand. They may be limited in terms of actual production output but I suspect if there is demand Bmw will keep churning them out.

This is always a risk, look at the GT4 - word is they are looking at producing more. I would love a GT4, shame they are going for such silly silly money :eek::(

Soldato
This is always a risk, look at the GT4 - word is they are looking at producing more. I would love a GT4, shame they are going for such silly silly money :eek::(

The RRP is fairly respectable. It's these bloody dealers. Selling them with crazy premiums. It's made even worse by the fact that Evo has just crowned it their e Coty champ - great read by the way.

Back
Top Bottom