Here it is the new BMW M2

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Granted I don't follow BMW world at all, but when asked by Chris Tarrant for million pounds I would be absolutely sure, without calling a friend or 50:50 that 2 series was some sort of fugly pregnant whale/Xsara Picasso thing?

Whereas this looks... like 1 series coupe thing with longer back I guess?

Soldato
The 550 probably doesn't cost more to make, as its the same as a 520D M sport with a different engine slotted in. The ecomies of scale are working well there.

The M2 has bespoke body and mechanical parts will low sale volumes.

My guess is the cost per unit of the M2 is higher than the 550. Similar to all of the other less costs more cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
Granted I don't follow BMW world at all, but when asked by Chris Tarrant for million pounds I would be absolutely sure, without calling a friend or 50:50 that 2 series was some sort of fugly pregnant whale/Xsara Picasso thing?

That's the FWD 2 series Active Tourer or Gran Tourer.... Not the 2 series.

Caporegime

Thats the 2 GT. Or was it the 2 GC?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Thats the 2 GT. Or was it the 2 GC?

They shouldn't mix them like that. 5 GT is still a 5, 3 GT is still 3 with different back. Whereas series 2 presents two completely different cars. I'm guessing both have the same platform, or something?

But even then - what's different between 1 coupe and 2. Is it all about 6cm of bumper length difference or about 2 cm of wheel base?

Man of Honour
But even then - what's different between 1 coupe and 2. Is it all about 6cm of bumper length difference or about 2 cm of wheel base?

2 replaced the 1 Coupe. It is effectively still the 1 Coupe, but now they've gone down this road of pretending they are all totally different cars by giving them a totally different name.

Just like the 3 Series Coupe, sorry, 4 Series :p

Soldato
I think compared to the Audi RS3 it's a bargain. The pricing is reasonable for the amount of kit you get. The only thing the A45 and RS3 have over this is the practicality and outright grip. The more I look at it the more I wish I put as deposit down, but it's clear that BMW have held back on this, paving the way for a CSL or equivalent model.

Soldato
I think compared to the Audi RS3 it's a bargain. The pricing is reasonable for the amount of kit you get. The only thing the A45 and RS3 have over this is the practicality and outright grip. The more I look at it the more I wish I put as deposit down, but it's clear that BMW have held back on this, paving the way for a CSL or equivalent model.

Hearing that there will only be 500 to the UK each year is making me consider putting down a deposit...

Soldato
Hearing that there will only be 500 to the UK each year is making me consider putting down a deposit...

Nothing is set in stone but it's likely to do with the production capacity at Leipzig and what they expect demand to be in the UK. I imagine this will flex if they can produce more or demand is strong in a particular market.

Given that the 1M was initially supposed to be a 2700 car run but ended on around 6500 units (The UK was limited to 450 of that amount) and the M2 isn't expected to be a production limited model I'd expect that number to change.

Caporegime
I just don't like it. There's a definite merging now between m cars and ordinary but fast models.
I think as a whole the bmw brand seems to be going through a bit of a change, perhaps to try and appeal to more people and open up a greater market share. In doing so however some of the uniqueness and renown seems to be fading.

Soldato
I just don't like it. There's a definite merging now between m cars and ordinary but fast models.
I think as a whole the bmw brand seems to be going through a bit of a change, perhaps to try and appeal to more people and open up a greater market share. In doing so however some of the uniqueness and renown seems to be fading.

In what sense is there a merging?

Back
Top Bottom