Here it is the new BMW M2

Caporegime
Your earlier point was that the M brand is merging because of a small gap in bhp performance between the M2 and M235i right? As shown that simply isn't the case as the gap between the M2 and m235i is in fact larger than the previous generation 1M vs 135i and we all know the 1M was far superior and widely lauded car as being one of the best M cars of its generation.

Like I said bhp and paper stats only tell one side of the story, jump in an M car and it's a far different proposition, you keep quoting 0-60 times as the only difference between the cars but that's simply missing the point of an M car.

No, i'm saying that difference now between an M and none M is probably closer than it's ever been. The power is a huge factor of this.

You're comparing the two most recent additions to the M range to one another. I'm talking about the most recent additions compared to the range as a whole.

Your argument now is completely different to your point earlier. Why if you're just talking about the gap between the 1M and M2 did you post figures for several generations of M3(4)?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yet the gap in power in the rest of the range has remained largely the same if not widened (as illustrated from the changes from e46 up to f80/82) and I can tell you first hand that the M4 and M5 are wildly different beasts to their smaller engined brothers. What gives you the impression the M brand is converging with the top petrol model if it isn't the small gap between the M2/M235 (which is why I pointed out that the M2 actually has a bigger power difference to the top petrol than its predecessor)?

Your argument now is completely different to your point earlier. Why if you're just talking about the gap between the 1M and M2 did you post figures for several generations of M3(4)?

To illustrate that the power gap between the top petrol to the M model from generation to generation for each model has increased.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yet the gap in power in the rest of the range has remained largely the same if not widened (as illustrated from the changes from e46 up to f80/82) and I can tell you first hand that the M4 and M5 are wildly different beasts to their smaller engined brothers.

Yes...You're agreeing with what I said now. I'll say one more time, the recent additions to the range narrow the gap between m and none m cars. Bmw are going in a direction that is different to their previous one.

Soldato
Yes...You're agreeing with what I said now. I'll say one more time, the recent additions to the range narrow the gap between m and none m cars. Bmw are going in a direction that is different to their previous one.

But they're not recent really this started over 4 years ago when the 1M was first announced. Anyway I understand what you're saying but the reality is they can't create a massive performance gap otherwise they would be treading on the toes of the M3/4 and I don't think the rest of the line is actually any different from years gone past. The M2/1M are supposed to be the easiest and most affordable way into M ownership.

I think the 1M is a cracking car and still a true M car and I expect the M2 to continue this.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm not saying it's not fast enough,

Yes, you are.

I'm saying it's not fast enough in relation to the range topping none M car.

Which unless you are advocating that the answer is to make the M235i more rubbish, is the same thing as saying it isnt fast enough.

Read my posts. Looking at 0-60 time of 4.5 for the M235i Vs 4.3 for the M2. It's not exactly a huge difference is it?

So you'd want them to do what?

Soldato
Saw on twitter the M2 pulls a shade under 8 mins round the Ring, something wrong with that somewhere?

I'm genuinely curious as to why people focus on ring times? I could understand if there was consistency between manufacturer methodology but there isn't (some running semi-slicks, some stripped out and not the road version etc.)

BMW never officially quote ring times as far as I'm aware.

Soldato
It's just a benchmark, like a 0-60 time, as far as I'm aware the stripped out semi slick wearing track cars don't get officially listed on the Rings website, perhaps a good example of how a car handles? Had it been mid 7's would you be more interested?

Edit:

Saying that thought the latest M5 pulls 7:55 so I suppose 7:58 is a good time for it's baby brother.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's just a benchmark, like a 0-60 time, as far as I'm aware the stripped out semi slick wearing track cars don't get officially listed on the Rings website, perhaps a good example of how a car handles? Had it been low 7's would you be more interested?

But then factor in it's not the same driver, not the same day, track temps or conditions. Far too many variables to be able to make apples to apples comparisons?

I'm happy with the M4, its Jekyll and Hyde nature is brilliant and even in MDM mode it will happily show you who is really boss lol, extremely tail happy due to peak torque between 1850-5500rpm. I'm fast approaching 1200 mile run in so I can fully stretch its legs.

Last edited:
Soldato
In my opinion if a manufacturer publishes their ring time then it should be done in fully optimised conditions, otherwise what is the point of telling us in can achieve 'x' time if the conditions were wet or the driver was my mum.

Seat recently pushed the boundaries when they did a 7m 58 sec with a production Leon Estate Cupra with some kit removed which is an £8k optional extra.

It's useful to understand what time a car do but you need the full story behind the time.

Back
Top Bottom