• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Hi-Res Quiet Card

Associate
Is it a simple process to remove the stock fan from the X1800 XT and fit the Zalman? Do you need to remove any glue with a blade or anything? I always hate doing that, feel like I'm gonna damage the card

Soldato
gooner_47 said:
Is it a simple process to remove the stock fan from the X1800 XT and fit the Zalman? Do you need to remove any glue with a blade or anything? I always hate doing that, feel like I'm gonna damage the card

Should be fairly easy to remove the stock cooler, remove the screws/back plate and twist the cooler from side to side until it pops off. If it doesnt feel like it is gonna move heat it up with a hair dryer and it should come off much easier.

Soldato
what no one seems to have addressed here is the fact that you might struggle to get a decent framerate out of one of these cards in modern games at 1680x1050 or higher.

I have an x1900xtx and that wasn't exactly destroying quake 4 at 1600x1200 with 2xAA and 0xAF, the framerate often dropped from 60 (cap on doom3 engine) when I patched it to the newest version and found the widescreen resolutions it really didn't want to know at 1920x1200, similarly trying more AA and some AF at 1600x1200 really made the x1900 struggle. This was all with an x2 3800 at 2.6ghz.

I'd say you're better saying a bit more and perhaps trying to pick up a 2nd hand x1900xt and then clock it to xtx (easy done) that shouldn't set you back much more than £200.

Back
Top Bottom