1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hifi speakers to pc

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by ichabod crane, 16 May 2006.

1. ichabod crane

Man of Honour

How would i go about connecting a 5.1 hifi speaker set to my pc?? thanks

2. squiffy

Banned

List your speakers, amplifier and PC soundcard

3. ichabod crane

Man of Honour

speakers mission cubes, sound card is currently 5.1 onboard... but im lookin at gettin an X-fi havent got an amp though do i need one??

4. tom_nieto

Capodecina

Yes you'll need an amp, I don't think the mission cubes have an amplifier built into them.

Once you get an amp you have the choice of either connecting it up using 3 3,5mm to RCA cables in analogue or using a digital cable. Bearing this in mind you wouldn't get surround sound in games or music if you had the X-fi using the digital cable method. You could get this by buying an HDA card instead of the X-fi, but it's really up to you.

5. ichabod crane

Man of Honour

no they dont have an amp only the base is amplified, so the cable will go from 3 x 3.5 to 6 x RCA right? i want surround really what is a HDA card please? and the amp will be just a seprate from a system i think i have one lying around somewhere

6. tom_nieto

Capodecina

7. ichabod crane

Man of Honour

thanks alot :) i will try and find a cable that will doit, test it on my current sound card... and look into that HDA card reviews are good for it

8. tom_nieto

Capodecina

You probably won't find a cable which is all joined together, rather you'll have to buy 3 of the 3.5mm to 2xRCA cables. Not too much hassle though. I'd definitely see how it sounds at the moment with your current sound card.

9. ichabod crane

Man of Honour

yeh i thought that when i had a google on it can get 3.5 to 2x RCA easy :)