High-Def isnt all that good.

Soldato
Well I think its more to do with the film you watched than the 26" Sammy.

I had the same Sammy 26R41BDX connected via HDMI to s sammy HD850 upscalling dvd player and watched SW Ep3 on it and it was pure class. The flames and fight scenes especially at the end whee absolutely glorious - and remember this was with a standard dvd

If the file you used - which at 16Gb should be a decent one as you stated - was HD then it should have been even more obvious. I think it was the film itself that is pretty long in the tooth now and while it looked good in the cinema, I dotn ever being "wowed" by it , its one of those funny films where it just looks wrongly filmed or budget wasnt there to do it justice, and if source - ie original film - isnt top quality then anything the studio do to it also wont make that much difference.

Seriously go get Episode 3, or watch it again if you can - and even the tv which i believe upscales on its own - will make your eyes stand out. It really does look that good.

I will fully admit though the Eurostat nature films ( I have read in what video) and the upcoming Sky stuff will only REALLY show decent HDTV quality at its best

Even the journos at a recent LIVE sky test where still stunned when they saw a demo of Sky hd on new Bravia LCD TV's and front projectors

Soldato
I have been underwhelmed by Hi-def stuff i have seen so far.
But i am aware it is early days, and am waiting to see if the likes of a hi-def player and SKY hd will be worth while getting.

Soldato
OP
mcmad said:
Youre the first person Ive heard of thats tried it that didn't think there was a significant difference so something aint right with your setup
The setup is fine.
Ive tryed WMV-HD clips and they dont look much different.
Kappa said:
Why not try downloading some HD Trailers from apple, they look amazing on the telly.
Already have. Not impressed thus far.
FrankJH said:
Seriously go get Episode 3, or watch it again if you can - and even the tv which i believe upscales on its own - will make your eyes stand out. It really does look that good.
Ive got it. It doesnt look overly different than any other DVD ive got tbh.

Im not easyily impressed, but, i dont think that the difference is as much as what people are making out. Ive seen so many people. So many articles, saying that the difference is night and day. When its more like dusk & night.
HDTV is over hyped thus far imo.

Ben

Ben

Associate
Since you're playing it from your PC, can we have a few screenshots to show a comparison? Take them as PNGs so there's no JPG loss of quality, and of course keep them at the source resolution.

Soldato
Attu said:
it would be hard to see the difference between a SD and HD DVD on a 26" TV,
Andy

I am not saying your wrong here, however I can clearly see the difference between 640x480 vs 1280x1080 on a 17" computer LCD so why would 26" be any different?

Associate
How have you got your screen connected to the computer and what resolution are you using on the computer, you may find that 720p is better than 1080i for a movie like starship troopers.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
This is a small blown up area from a DVD and a 1080i release, as mentioned above to appreciate the extra detail a big screen is required.

apdvda.jpg

ap1080a.jpg

Soldato
What are you using to play the dvd's on your pc? Obviously the pc unless using special upscaling software will only be playing it at 640*480 no matter how you set it up ( Even if desktop is set to 1366*768 / native res of tv)

To be honest I dont think a still image like that will convey much anyway, yeah the jaggies are improved but as you said not that much difference

I personally think an upscalig dvd player with a decently filmed and recent movie will show a lot more of yur tv off - but even on a 26" TV you should notice a lot of diff unless a setting is wrong somewhere

Associate
BoomAM said:
-- That HDTV isnt all its cracked up to be. Which is the most plausable to me.

My boyfriend has a HDTV and he thinks it's brilliant and how the picture is so much clearer etc etc, he gets a little annoyed when i say i can't see a difference and it looks like im watching whatever im watching on a regular tv :rolleyes: So im with you on this one :)

Soldato
OP
Ben said:
Since you're playing it from your PC, can we have a few screenshots to show a comparison? Take them as PNGs so there's no JPG loss of quality, and of course keep them at the source resolution.
Whats the point. Its obviously gonna be displayed different on your PC than what you see on your screen.

Permabanned
BoomAM said:
The setup is fine.
Ive tryed WMV-HD clips and they dont look much different.

I do think 26 inch is not really ideal for judging high def though, on a large screen (or even better a projector) there is a massive difference, as I said before I could not believe the difference between dvd's & high def it was almost like the picture was finally in focus.

maybe change the thread title to high def isn't all that good on a 26 inch tv ;)

Permabanned
Soldato
OP
Enlarged, the difference would be bigger. I havnt denyed that.
But.
The difference is obviously gonna be big when you post a SD source thats at such a low quality. Ive never even seen a DVD look that bad.
Even upscaled DVDs look better than your 'SD' source. :p

Soldato
BoomAM said:
The thread title is fine how it is.
We're not all as easyily consumed by technology hype. ;)

Maybe you should change it to "I think..."

When it comes to hard facts its plain to see how its better, and in real life I can see it, on a 26" lcd. But then being 'wow'ed by it can vary as does opinion.

Permabanned
you would be disturbed by how many dvd's are actually that bad, like I said before I can barely watch them on my screen now they just look blurred.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You haven't answered questions about the set-up such as resolution settings but rather just said 'it's fine' rather than listen to constructive comments like how VLC isn't the best option you've just disregarded it so you can play Devils Advocate instead.

If you don't like HD then stick happily with SD whilst the rest move on but you're turning it into a pointless thread, everyone but you can see the difference and clear examples have been shown.

If I couldn't see a difference in HD like everyone else could I'd be looking at why rather than blaming hype or somehow believing there is no difference and everyone else is just deluded

Man of Honour
It's also worth noting that by using 1080i rather than 720 or 1080p, you're missing part of the benefit of HD tv (ie that it's not interlaced)

Couple that with the fact that you're not using a decent dedicated source, your TV is small and you're refusing to listen to any possible setup changes or corrections you may need to make, and it's looking far more like you're having a rant that you're disappointed rather than searching for answers, and you're blaming the film rather than your equipment.

-Dolph

Associate
He was quite happy the other week with regards to some vids on hdclips.net :p
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6169335&postcount=11

I've got a 26" lcd and the difference between an SD source and a HD source is highly noticeable. As well as missing out on the progressive scan, the 1080 resolution is being downscaled to 768.

Whether this post is about pointing out that the High Definition standards in general aren't 'all that good' or to convey a dissapointment through high standards or expectations I don't know. If it is the latter then we can't help with that :)

Back
Top Bottom