High-Def isnt all that good.

Soldato
Sorry but you do not need a 50" tv to see how good it is. That's total tosh. The problem here is he's watching an archaic film which has probably been re-sampled or something. You'll probably have to watch some original HD-source material to see how good it is.

Oh and Dogma - if you're watching a TV show it won't be in HD.

Soldato
ive had a look at some hd clips t2, other movies etc, and the difference is obvious to me, oh at this is on a 17 ich lcd mmmkay (HDTV for the win)
i also agree with whoever said normal tv stuff will be amazing, liek cnn, we will realised how great it is when we watch eastenders amnd its like, Oh look i can see every little detail of there face.

Associate
Jez said:
Errr, a regular PC screen is about the best display you will ever get? Too small for film watching obviously but i am yet to see anything ever which will beat some of the 21" units built in the days when they were all the rage for CAD etc. Ive a couple of old units sitting here which will show 1080P resolutions all day long without strain, they have huge bandwidth and huge contrast ratio's? Better by far than my 8" projector, which will still wipe the floor with all these LCD DV displays.

Wow 8" projector surely not worth the hassle. Mount it on you head for on the move.

EDIT: lol I thought you meant screen size (projected image) !

Last edited:
Soldato
Barco's are quality projectors alright, bit of an unfare comparison tho as they are probably as costly as the 65"+ LCD's just released ( around £12,000)

No doubts though that a decent projector and screen combo can outperform all TV's

Even a £3000 LCD projector coupled with a quality screen can usually outperform any tv you care to mention.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I was really comparing an old 21" computer monitor, nothing special at all, worth about £10, to the latest in LCD technology.

It'd wipe the floor with it :) Too small at 21" to be of any use, so obviously slightly academic, but someone posted that a computer monitor was not a good display. I didnt really mean to bring any of the projection technologies into it, it was a reference point against the PC monitor.

Soldato
Goatboy said:
Since most people nowadays have TFT's I'm assuming that's what he has - should have mentioned that.

Sorry, should have said earlier on.

I've got a 19" Iiyama VM Pro 455. Nice monitor for the price. Either going to get another or dual TFT's... can't make my mind up though.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
agw_01 said:
Sorry, should have said earlier on.

I've got a 19" Iiyama VM Pro 455. Nice monitor for the price. Either going to get another or dual TFT's... can't make my mind up though.

That is a faaar better screen than anything digital currently available. Playback for DVD should be as good as it gets. You could run that screen at any resolution you practically want, even 1920x1080 if you could find any content.

Try this for me. Install Intervideo WinDVD7 (the player i personally use as its really easy and performs excellently), change the display resolution to 720*576@100hz (or whatever the resolution of the content you are playing is), hook up your pc to a receiver and set windvd to send the bitstream to that for external decoding. Play a normal PAL DVD. It should look stunning.

Last edited:
Associate
Goatboy said:
Theatertek using NVidia post processing and ffdshow to scale to the native resolution of the display.

What connection would you reccommend between the PC and TV? I've got a Radeon 9800 with SVid out and wondered if i can improve the picture

Soldato
Funniest thread in a long time. Skipped over some of it but who am i to turn away from an old mates post......

Having over 30 HD flims (dont ask) i have mixed feelings, some of it is great, superb indeed other stuff isnt, why?

TS streams will come from broadcasters so your at the mercy of the quality of material that is used. Yes indeed a lot of HDTV from cable/satellite is possibly bite rate limited or upscaled, what i cant confirm is if the broadcaster or the studio that does this upscaling.

Overall quality can differ quite a lot. This material is more than likely recorded via DVCR using i1394 your also at the mercy of the users machine, its settings and even condition of the tape used, needless to say it could be one reason why quality is so up/down on such files.

Notable mentions
CSI 1080i / LOST 720p approx 4GB per episode can look great
Victorias Secret Catwalk Show 1080i
.Bev version of Gladiator 1080i (approx 20gb monster extend ver)
LOTR 3 1080i and 1080p conversion from 1080i source
WOTW 2005 1080i
Phill Collins Farewell Tour 1080i

Problems like Mpeg compression are still visible, also grain on 1080i can be quite aparent "WOTW 05" (quality of recorder note above) but detail and sharpness is the main differences with HD particulary visible on skintones.
Colour richness can also be greater as can detail in scene background.

Do remember HD uses higher videorates ie 1080i can be approx 16mb/sec to the best DVDs approx 8mb/sec and everything is at least 5.1 even Tv episodes like those above with HDTV you get 5.1 so its not all just about vision.

Summary
When proper disc formats arrive they will show of the material in better light no different to comparing say a DVD movie now to a Sky broadcast. Broadcasts even if they use the full HD source may not broadcast at the full quality of that source because of bw restrictions. Sky HD we will see? Further example is available if you go download a recent 720p/1080i/1080p trailer many can look excellent.

Finally also remember because the resolutions are higher any HDTV or display does not need to scale the video as much as conventional sources, this gets overlooked.

Hope its helped

Last edited:
Soldato
well I have to say as a new adopter to all things hidef I have to say I am very pleased with the improvement and quality of the material that is available. Like many I have tried various samples that have made there way onto the net and some is good, bad and indifferent.

The WMV HD samples that can be downloaded from microsoft's website show of my new hidef unit the best.

When looking at just normal stuff on the hidef unit everything looks nicer and sharper. But I think that is just me going from an old tv to a nice new one.

The only problem I have is that I am now going to have to get some of my fav DVD's on the next gen of media just to see how good they look in hidef. I was surprised to find movies such as the league of gentlemen: apocolypse was filmed in hidef as they said it was the cheapest option. So if a relatively low budget film such as this has been filmed in hidef how many others have been as well.

I know that there is a list of region 1 DVD's that have already been released in WMV-HD such as T2 extreme edition and Titanic as well as others.

But as the technology is made more available and affordable to everyone we will find that the quality of hidef sources will improve as we will want to see the improvement from our new equipment just like we did from when going from VHS to DVD.

I am no expert but I can only see these advances being a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom