High-Def isnt all that good.

Associate
The LE26 and 32s support 1:1 pixel mapping over the VGA port only. The HDMI port on these models (or DVI port if using the french LE27T model) aren't intended for PC input.

Soldato
lightbulb said:
The LE26 and 32s support 1:1 pixel mapping over the VGA port only. The HDMI port on these models (or DVI port if using the french LE27T model) aren't intended for PC input.

Ahh finally the confirmation I was looking for. Thanks lightbulb, much appreciated.

So the Samsung does indeed support 1:1 mapping on the VGA port albeit with the backlight issue. Although I don't have the Sammy on hand to verify this. According to a few posters on avforums when using the VGA port the Samsung disables the backlight. Could anyone confirm this?

FrankJH said:
I also have a Samsung HD850 dvd player via hdmi which definitely upscales

I think thats your problem there Frank. The Samsung HD850 has a compatibility issue with the LG26LX2R. Apparently when connected to the LG it does not upscale to 720p/1080i when playing PAL DVD's. There is a workaround that they mention which involves making the player region free and/or removing the DHCP on the HDMI port of the TV. Alternatively buying an HDMI/DVI adaptor may alleviate the problem and allow your DVD player to upscale correctly. See the thread here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277227&highlight=26lx2r+samsung+850

There are a few more threads mentioning the problem/workaround if you search around.

I assume this is why you are not impressed with the LG's picture quality. If you hook the Samsung player up to the Samsung LCD you do get the upscaling. Connect it to the LG however and the upscaling is disabled unless you perform the workaround I mentioned.

I am using an LG upscaling DVD player connected via the HDMI port and it is upscaling to 720p/1080i perfectly. The quality is astounding for a sub £100 dvd player.

Last edited:
Associate
GordyR said:
Ahh finally the confirmation I was looking for. Thanks lightbulb, much appreciated.

So the Samsung does indeed support 1:1 mapping on the VGA port albeit with the backlight issue. Although I don't have the Sammy on hand to verify this. According to a few posters on avforums when using the VGA port the Samsung disables the backlight. Could anyone confirm this?

Are you referring to the disabling of the Brightness Sensor? On VGA sources, the Brightness Sensor is disabled so the intensity of the backlight doesnt adjust according to the lighting conditions in the room. :)

Soldato
lightbulb said:
Are you referring to the disabling of the Brightness Sensor? On VGA sources, the Brightness Sensor is disabled so the intensity of the backlight doesnt adjust according to the lighting conditions in the room. :)

Indeed, I meant the automatic backlight adjustment, not the actual backlight. My apologies for poor wording. :p

I read it on avforums. And I quote...

While the Samsung supports 1360/1368x768 for 1:1 mapping, it disables the automatic backlight adjustment for the VGA input, so black levels are poor when connected to a PC. (and the brightness sensor could be better)

Original Link here

Whether this makes a significant difference or not I don't know. It's just something to bear in mind. :)

Associate
i doubt the BBC currently shoot anything on film, they wouldnt be able to send out live pictures if this was the case so them moving to high def isn't the same as the film industry doing it.

35mm film can capture a huge amount of detail. 1080 is what is known as a 2k capture, there is what is known as 4k which is 4 times the size of 2k. This is what 35mm films are starting to be scanned in to which means the digital master copy of new films is gonna be very detailed, this means downscaling to high def is gonna produce stunning images. Currently most digital masters are at 2k or lower, when making copies of this they lose some of the detail and hence why some HD movies aren;t that great quality.

I think thats a fair roundup of HD stuff, i tried to find the article that ir ead on that but cant.
http://blog.forret.com/blog/2005/07/digital-cinema-one-step-closer.html
has some of it.

Soldato
Thank you for your work around GordyR regarding the HD850, however that doesnt answer how its affecting My Sony over Scart also

The HD850 is a great machine , the hdmi / dvi adaptors I have seen are £30 though, 1/3 of the cost of the player lol so will have to save for that lol

Soldato
FrankJH said:
Thank you for your work around GordyR regarding the HD850, however that doesnt answer how its affecting My Sony over Scart also

No problem mate. I would suggest that the reason your Sony looks poorer over Scart with the LG is because the LG isn't quite as good as the Samsung TV with SD sources.

FrankJH said:
The HD850 is a great machine , the hdmi / dvi adaptors I have seen are £30 though, 1/3 of the cost of the player lol so will have to save for that lol

Indeed... The cable prices are ridiculous. However if you search for "DVI HDMI adaptor" on a well known auction site you can find adaptors for £8.59. I'm not sure on the quality of these units but it might be worth you trying. :)

Soldato
Wouldnt mind paying £30 for a cable - but I do mind paying it for an adaptor which cant be much diferent from the dvi/vga ones given away with graphics cards!!!

Never succumbed to any auction site to be honest, so will have to save up all my pennies.

I was under the impression the Sony dvd recorder upscaled also but I guess it cant over scart, because it looked as good via that as the Sammy did upscalling on the Sammy 26" TV

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Shimmyhill said:
However, Digital Theatre is stunning. Its proper HD not upscaled nonsense. It is infact generally at a higher bitrate than BD will be. It blows DVD away. Ive seen it on a Barco CRT projecctor and it was simply stunning. .

I wouldnt go mentioning anything based on CRT technology here, what you want is a digital display with a stonking 800:1 CR and lots of HDCP's and whatever inputs ;)

I am simply in amazement as to all this HD hype, HD-resolution capable equipment of much higher quality than all these rubbishy new LCD panels has been around for literally years. We have been playing HD resolution games for yonks on PC's, why is everyone suddenly getting excited when in reality nothing has happened.

Soldato
FrankJH said:
I was under the impression the Sony dvd recorder upscaled also but I guess it cant over scart, because it looked as good via that as the Sammy did upscalling on the Sammy 26" TV

Quite correct, over scart it won't be upscaling. Remember, the LG is poorer than the Samsung TV with regards to SD. The difference between your Sony player (when not upscaling) and your Samsung player (with upscaling) when viewed on the Samsing LCD will be minimal. Whereas on the LG the difference will be far greater as it wont handle the SD source outputted by the Sony through scart quite as well.

Confusing I know... I hope that made some sense. :p

Associate
Jez said:
I am simply in amazement as to all this HD hype, HD-resolution capable equipment of much higher quality than all these rubbishy new LCD panels has been around for literally years. We have been playing HD resolution games for yonks on PC's, why is everyone suddenly getting excited when in reality nothing has happened.

because no films have taken the opportunity to use the high def screens on a PC?
its all about the films and tv.

Soldato
HD films have been around for years. On sat or D-VHS.

And how in gods name is the LG worse than the Sammy on SD - the Sammy is horrific, short of smearing vasoline on the screen i dont see how the LG could be worse.

Soldato
Shimmyhill said:
And how in gods name is the LG worse than the Sammy on SD - the Sammy is horrific, short of smearing vasoline on the screen i dont see how the LG could be worse.

LOL as crazy as it may sound, it is. Only very slightly worse to my eyes, but it still is. Thats the nature of LCD's though i'm afraid.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Kamakazie! said:
because no films have taken the opportunity to use the high def screens on a PC?
its all about the films and tv.

They have been available for years just as readily as they are right now :confused: And remember that even a boggo DVD will take advantage to some extent of a higher resolution than a standard definition pal tv has to offer.

Back
Top Bottom