High End PC Upgrade

HPV

HPV

Associate
Hi guys, I work in video production but also game a lot at a fairly high level - I'm looking to upgrade my PC to get more frames per second in games and also export complex 4k edits faster which needs a lot of CPU power. I'm after a processor with lots of cores that can also get as close to 5ghz as possible.

Current build:
I7 6900k
GtX 1080 ti strixx
128gb DDR 4 Ram
Samsung 860 pro SSDs
Titanium X99 motherboard
Asus PG279 & Acer Predator XB321HK

Processor budget ideally around £1000 but can go higher if neccesary. I understand the motherboard would need changing too, any reccomendations on that front would be super helpful. I'll swap the 1080 ti for a 2080 ti and hopefully keep the RAM which is DDR4.

Would I need to go with water cooling for a good i9 build? I read they can get really hot.. Thanks in advance for any advice

Soldato
You have two conflicting requirements there. So why not just have two PCs? Just upgrade your current GPU to a 2080 Ti and overclock your 6900k for games and get a second box with a Ryzen Threadripper for your video editing?

HPV

HPV

Associate
OP
Hey Quarts, thanks for your reply! I've overclocked the 6900k to 3.8ghz - can't get higher without it becoming unstable - with the overclock I'm not getting enough frames per second in games, pretty sure the CPU is the bottleneck on that front as the GPU isn't working very hard. I'd prefer to have one PC that's so overkill it can do both well, is that possible? Surely it's just a case of selecting the right i9 that has enough cores to edit well and can be safely overclocked as close to 5ghz as possible? Also I believe Adobe works better with Intel and I use Adobe After Effects, Premier Pro & Photohsop a lot so intel is where i'd like to stay ideally.

For example this one says 4.9ghz capable - not sure if capable means easily capible, maybe I'd need heavy cooling? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-socket-lga2066-processor-oem-cp-00f-oe.html

Last edited:
Soldato
The above would be nice but its not your socket type , your LGA 2011 thats LGA 2066

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...Intel-X-series-2018-Refresh-Performance-1286/

as you can see, you need SPEED and core count - both scale together to get the best performance

£1200 4.9ghz 10 core vs £550 8 core 5ghz i9 9900k ...

Your sort of in a catch 22.

If you swap the i7 6900k for i9 9900k you'll have the same core count but should be able to push 5ghz all cores so will gain the extra performance for editing and gaming - BUT gaming will not increase hugely if your gaming at 1440p to 4k with a 2080ti over say gaming at 1080p 240hz which your very CPU bound by .

all depends on your budget really ! could just get an i5 9600k and clock to 5ghz with a 2080ti for gaming and leave current rig as it its, overclock it etc

Back
Top Bottom