High Pitched sound coming from Motherboard? And CTD's

Associate
Hello everyone,

I'm having bit of a nightmare with my new build. I put a fair amount of money away to build this and I feel like it's going wrong. :(

There are a couple issues - I'll start with the one that has truley baffled me.

My First Issue:

There is a horrific high pitched sound coming from the motherboard. It's subtle but once you catch wind of it, it's almost headache inducing. (Think Horcrux from Harry Potter).

The noise only starts once windows has booted and is ready for my password input.

I've tried turn all fans off and it persists... It appears to be coming from the rear I/O panel. I've removed all of the connectors and booted up again. Still making the noise.

Image of predicted area: https://ibb.co/CbHY0pG

Any ideas?

Spec List: I'll include everything that I think is relevent to my issues. (I am no tech genius)

Everything inside of the case is new except for the GPU and storage.

Motherboard - ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) Z390

GPU - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 msi

CPU - Intel Core i7-9700KF 9th Gen

CPU Cooling - Cooler Master MA620M

Memory - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 RAM (Black)

Storage - Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 2280 SSD Solid State Drive, 128GB samsung ssd 840pro, 250 samsung ssd 850evo, SanDisk Ultra II 480gb

PSU - Corsair RM750x 80 PLUS Gold (modular)

Cable Extensions - LINKUP PSU cable extensions (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TDNH824/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Monitor 1: Alienware 27 AW2720HF

Monitor 2: Samsung C27F390

My Second Issue:

Since installing the brand new dims (as listed above) I have enabled the XMP I mode in BIOS to use their full speed. I have literally only selected XMP I - No other changed in BIOS.

This seems to be causing some kind of instability where my slighty more intense games are causing CTD's. After about 15 minutes up to an hour of gaming. (Recently Gears Tactics, previously R6:Siege) The game will freeze for 3 seconds and then close as smoothly as closing a web browser. This is odd to me because there is no lagging within the PC before or after the crash.

A side note for My Second Issue: I'm going to game for a bit on the default BIOS at 2133MHz and see what happens. I'll report back tomorrow to announce any CTD's

If there is any more information you require, I will do my absolute best to help you help me.

I'm no seasoned pro at this, this is my 3rd build. I watch a lot of videos and read manuals but I find something new every single day. I'd still label myself as a hard amateur.
I would greatly appreciate any help that can be given for any of these issues.

Thank you for your patience.

Man of Honour
Issue 1 /
Whining sound - possibly coil whine from your graphics card. I know you said your card was not new, but a different PSU can effect it and introduse coil-whine.
Put varying loads on your gpu to see if the sound fluctuates

Issue 2 /
CTD - when you enabled XMP did you change your vram voltage to 1.35v ?

Associate
OP
I've heard of this possibility before. But it just doesn't seem to be coming from there... I've done the old cardboard tube around the ear trick to help locate noise and I can't hear anything around the card. :(

It was indeed automatically set to 1.35v.

EDIT:

I've been playing Gears tactics since I posted this and not a single crash. I cleared the CMOS and ran of basically default.

Upon reinsating the XMPI profile the computer did it's usual stop start twice.
Then the "Memory OK! succeeds in system booting!"

And then checking the voltages out of curiosity. The following settings were in place:
DRAM Voltage: 1.4000
CPU VCCIO Voltage: 1.35000
CPU System Agent Voltage 1.35000

I have pictures of this not being the case the first time round... I am getting more and more lost. :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
The noise only starts once windows has booted and is ready for my password input.

I've tried turn all fans off and it persists... It appears to be coming from the rear I/O panel. I've removed all of the connectors and booted up again. Still making the noise.
That's precisely where CPU VRM (power circuitry) is and that can make as much noises as GPU VRM.
Though did you disconnect rear fan when looking for noise source?
Some fan motors can make high frequency noises in certain circumstances.
But then again Windows/no Windows shouldn't have any effect to it.

As for second problem check Event Viewer and Reliability history for anything with time stamps matching CTD.

For memory voltage you should check what's the specified voltage for those particular memories.
More voltage help with stability for overclocking and some amount over spec doesn't damage memory.
But if higher voltage causes too much temperature increase effect is very destabilizing.
(especially Samsung B-die is known from being temperature sensitive)

And you could have gotten lot better bang per buck/real upgradability by better part choises for.
You essentially paid couple hundreds of brand extras for no real value and even less future value.

Associate
OP
So these noises are just normal and not a sign of damage? I can deal with that - noise canceling headphones will do the trick!

I've checked the timings, voltages and as far as my knowledge goes... They are correct. I'll try pushing it up a bit on the ram to see what happens. This is literally just trial and error right?

I knew I'd fall into this trap. I did some research but the opinion of the public is erratic so I just used what I knew and picked up what I wanted.
My knowledge on brand versus quality is very limited on components I'm afraid.

Nevertheless! I still don't regret it, it's all very pretty!

Thank you for your advices. :)

Back
Top Bottom