• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HIS 5770 ICEQ5 Overclocking

Associate
I have bought HIS 5770 ICEQ5 from this site. I Installed into my pc yesterday, and I thought because of the huge heatsink and fan I should get a fairly decent overclock out of it.

I ran the ATI overdrive and let it do its stuff, and then tried to play MW2 at max settings with 1680 x 1050 res. This made my computer freeze and have a yellow screen. Had to switch off the PC, tried again and it locked up. I then reset back to default, and it worked fine.

Whats a sensible overclock for this card? And why does the ATI overdrive tool set those speeds if it can't run it?!

Associate
I think with so many ati cards with different memory and gpu's it is probably hard to get the 'auto tune' to get it right. I would just do it yourself . What did the auto tune set your GPU and memory to?

Soldato
Personally I use MSi Afterburner to overclock with..

Find something stable.. get it to load the profile when the pc loads, and shazam :D

Its also great for monitoring temperature and fps on its little plotting graph.

Associate
OP
I have just run the ATI Auto tune again and these are the settings it decided on.

GPU Clock Settings = 950MHz (850Mhz Stock)
Memory Clock Settings = 1435MHz (1200MHz Stock)

Im guessing the auto tune has put these settings far too high?

Soldato
Yes my Friend, should work fine with your card.

I use it with my Asus 5770 Crossfire.

Your ram seems extremely high in the Auto Tune overclock. I'm pretty sure 1310 is the max I can run stably. Although your board might feature some spangly high clocking stuff? but it still seems very highly clocked.

Soldato
As above, and if you want to play around with voltages you'll need to edit the afterburner .cfg file to set "enable unofficial overclocking" to true (or 1, I can't remember). This will allow you to hit 1GHz no problem, but due to ECC you'll probably find that 1300 is the sweet spot for the memory and anything much higher actually decreases performance.

Associate
I have my 5770 at 950/1350 with no voltage increase and it runs nice and cool. bout 59C in games. Not 100% loaded it yet but i haven't increased the voltage at all. Is there something im missing? I haven't been able to find any documentation I trust yet. I saw that overclockers club had got 964/1435 but the fan was at like 60%. Not down with that noise!
Im pretty new to GPU overclocking to be honest. Not entirely sure where my boundaries lain.

Soldato
It's all about changing the figures, trying, then changing again, trying again, etc..

I have mine running at 950/1400 (from what I remember) and that seems to be solid for me, then again i've got an earlier card with the egg shape cooler which isn't the best. If your stable at 950/1350 then i'd be happy with that.

Hoping i'll be able to keep these settings with the 2nd card arriving tomorrow :)

Soldato
I said this loads and it's been proven time and again running the memory at 1300-1450 actully lowers the performance of your cars in MOST cases, These cards throttle themsels so it may look like you are stable but your just choking your cards. I have had 3 5770 and i found using 3d vantage to test and re test a good start as soon as you see your gpu score drop you went too far or need more volts. Remember all cards are diff so there will be a few that do well at 1300+ chances are not yours lol :p

Associate
OP
Ok so Iv had a play with the settings on HIS 5770 ICEQ5 via MSI Afterburner. The Max I seem to be able to push it to is - 900Mhz on the Core and 1350Mhz on the memory. Shall I leave it there, or tweak more and adjust voltages?

Back
Top Bottom