Hive 2 -v- vSmart

Capodecina
Soldato
I have had a quote for installation of a Vaillant ecoFIT pure 435 boiler to replace an aged (now unreliable) Potterton system.

The existing system includes a Honewell Thermostat in the hall and a Drayton LP722 Controller by the boiler - personally I have been happy with this combination but the installer has recommended a Hive 2 Active programmable thermostat. I can see some advantage with this in that I can position the Thermostat in any room. However . . . I gather that Vaillant have their own thermostat and controller, the Vaillant Vsmart.

Does anyone have any experience of both systems or of the Vaillant Vsmart?

I have read suggestions that the Vsmart stores data on some remote server and if the Internet goes down it reverts to a VERY basic program - is this for real? Why does the data have to be stored off-site?

Soldato
Think I caught your x-post in another thread. This one is a bit more of a specific question though which I can't remember the answer to. Despite my dodgy internet I think the programme sits on the local Hive device because otherwise my hot water wouldn't have come on at 14:30 for the kids bath at 18:30.

I think Tado is the favourite on this forum but I always vouch for Hive. Has been great for me and works well with the TRVs.

I'd argue Hive is better than the Vaillant simply because Hive begun as a tech product and was then acquired by BG. Vaillant are an exceptional boiler company but not exactly a tech company. Doubt they have the "love" and culture required to develop it to be a contender to Hive/Tado.

Caporegime
I only have the Hive V1 but find the entire platform pretty lacking. The software is pretty basic and restrictive and we had constant disconnections.

Finally got it into a usable state but still can't do even basic things like group all the lights in a room together.

Soldato
Ah yeah FWIW I never use Hive for anything other than internet. I have Hue and Alexa for the rest of the smart home. Hive integrates perfectly into Alexa through. That may be a deal breaker if the Vaillant doesn't?

Back
Top Bottom