1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hive wiring help

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Kermit, 4 Dec 2017.

1. Kermit

Mobster

Its good to know you resolved it although why they couldn't provide a recessed reset button like most devices have to either reset (short press) or longer hold to go into recovery mode god knows

2. topgun06

Sgarrista

Yes, exactly. I thought this. A simple reset button. Or unplug it three times instead of six! Ahhh well. Just about to wire up my receiver,

3. Kermit

Mobster

2 updates...

Saturday

I 'almost' got it fitted saturday. Relocated the frost thermostat from a few meters away closer to everything else, put the Hive's receiver back plate on and redid the power socket (new back box and switch with led as as old back box fell apart when I tried to drill extra holes in it for new wires. So all set, all wires in place, double/triple checked, put hive receiver in place and switched the power on and bang....small spark from Hive and fuse blown in power socket/house circuit breaker tripped :(

Turns out Hive/British Gas sent me a 2 channel unit suitable for boilers with separate hot water tank/heater. Mines a combi boiler but didn't think too much about it and assume they supply the one model now and you ignore the hot water side of things. What I failed to double-check was the wiring to the back plate works differently with the HEATING ON being different wire and there being NO common. Couldn't work out how on earth you can turn heating on with effectively ONE wire as thats not a circuit in my book although I know boilers can be wired like that but I'm not going into boilers front panel and wire connections to try find out how mine might work that way when I have two perfectly good wires for OPEN (no heat) and CLOSED (heat) calls.

My Wiring diagram
    [​IMG]

After re-checking HIVE online store didn't give option to choose between the two types of receiver (single or dual) which it doesn't (it only offers only DIY fit £99 and Professional Fit £199) I called Hive support and asked why they sent me a Dual channel receiver or didn't contact me to ask which I needed. They're going to send me a new SINGLE channel kit out and MIGHT or MIGHT NOT request the old incorrect one is returned. I did power of the "blown" receiver with just Live, Neutral and Earth and added it to the app and wireless stat, played around with various temps to signal heating on and off and the receivers lights for POWER/STATUS and the separate HEAT ON (LED lit) and HEAT OFF (LED off) turned on ans off as they're should so it seems to work although the odds are having the wires the wrong way + the small bang possibly means its blew some sort of small relay inside the unit so while it may appear to work I suspect its probably unable to turn HEAT or WATER on and off. I hope Hive don't want old one back and if they do, they don't test it.

Current setup waiting for new kit. Connector block is temporarily to wire our old/normal thermostat back into play.

[​IMG]

4. Kermit

Mobster

Wednesday

Received the new single channel receiver today (just receiver, not complete kit). Was 5min job to disconnect the old stats wires, reconnect the boiler on/off wires to the C & 3 pins on the back plate then powered on. Used a broom to flick the power switch back as thats how confident I am when rewiring mains sockets and switches :p

needn't have bothered, it powered on fine and didn't blow up. Then used app to re-add the device to my Hive setup which didn't take long then ran through thermostats scheduling setup for various days.

Note - one of the wires in the frost stat is disconnected and insulated. Left the wires there just in case I decide to add a new one
    [​IMG]

Hive thermostat in the lounge
    [​IMG]

5. DAVID353535

Associate

Guys little help i have wired as the single channel diagram above.

Firstly when i do it that way i don't get any power to my boiler.

So currently i have neutral from power live from power in permanent live and permanent neutral respectively and have earthed.

i have blue from boiler in permanent neutral (as this is the only way i can get the boiler to go on)
    I have the brown from the boiler in Heating on.
    I have a loop from permanent live and common.

With this set up my boiler goes on and my heating only works on manual not scheduled and when i turn my heating manually of it turns my whole boiler off.

can anyone help this is driving me mental and i don't want to have to call a sparky if i dont have to.

Cheers