HL2 & CS:S Steam offers available Thursday

Soldato
Originally posted by Exorcist
i wont be playing it anytime soon if the current trend of the preload continues.

going soooo slow, and i have a very fast connection

Yes but having a fast connection doesn't matter if 2 million people are downloading from the back bone.

Associate
You should have installed steam months ago and just left it running, thats what i done, havnt noticed it downloading stuff at all and my folder is now at over 5 gig :D how am gonna back this up is yet to be seen

May have to split it in 2 with winrar and burn to 2 dvd's :(

Roll on tonight when i will use an ATI voucher i bought for 7 quid last year :D

Bet the lad who sold it to me is kicking himself now ;)

Cal_G

Hitman
Soldato
HL2 took not 2 hours to preload for me. I have it on auto-updates so then again, I probably wouldn't notice it as Steam runs in the background.

Can't wait for CS: S new maps :) Got tired of de_dust a long time ago!

Associate
erm why are all you guys downloading hl2 ?

why dont u just wait until the packages are released and download the source files then when the most likley will add more content servers ?no point in downloading the hl2 files now surley ?

Hitman
Soldato
If you download it now, you have more chance of completeing it BEFORE it's initial release than after it. Can you imagine the millions of millions of users downloading it once it's released?

It'll be 50 x worse when it's released. I'm not bothered, Got backups of all the preloads ;)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Callousness
erm why are all you guys downloading hl2 ?

why dont u just wait until the packages are released and download the source files then when the most likley will add more content servers ?no point in downloading the hl2 files now surley ?

Well when the game is released, you'll be sitting pressing retry all of the time, trying to get onto steam and getting DLs of 1kb per second.

Or, have it downloaded ready for the minute it gets active on steam, without having to really worry about traffic problems.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Xtrm2Matt
If you download it now, you have more chance of completeing it BEFORE it's initial release than after it. Can you imagine the millions of millions of users downloading it once it's released?

It'll be 50 x worse when it's released. I'm not bothered, Got backups of all the preloads ;)

no, the game will unlock itself ONLY when the full retail is released. if you preload it now and buy it now you will ONLY be able to play CS Source immediately. Check above for the package detailes properly.

Also the preload is well over 3GB.

Mine is 3.34GB

Associate
Originally posted by DaveyD
Or, have it downloaded ready for the minute it gets active on steam, without having to really worry about traffic problems.

But you just know that the activation will be part of a final download, might only be small but i bet it is, just to be annoying :p

I can see steam grinding to a hault when it comes to release day, but then again it might surprise me, value must know the demand there going to have.

Associate
Originally posted by mrk
no, the game will unlock itself ONLY when the full retail is released. if you preload it now and buy it now you will ONLY be able to play CS Source immediately. Check above for the package detailes properly.

Also the preload is well over 3GB.

Mine is 3.34GB

I think Xtrm2Matt was pointing at the fact it might take you a few days to download it due to the demand on release day.

Soldato
there are traffic problems already.

i guess that the majority of steam customers will be ones that buy as soon as it outs.

i dont agree with the statement that it will be worse afterwards. An increase in content servers and or a decrease in uploaders will make it easier after all the MUST GET IT ASAP geeks have had their fill.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
well the only people preloading it "now" are the people who have slow internet lines or non 24/7 lines or those who were unaware that CS Source will be made available to play right away. Everyone else has already got it preloaded and ready to roll as soon as steam gives you purchasing options.

don't lose your steam account details either, if you were to lose your data files you can redownload them as you've already paid and your steam account holds that info

Associate
87.6% complete preloading on Half Life 2 right now, that was done a HECK of a long time ago, a few weeks ago to be exact. quite a few indeed, and now thats 88%, anyway. My good ol 9800XT was defintly worth it, and i actually got 2 HL2 vouchers with it, so i can sell it off and get some money back on my 9800XT :) or just keep it and have 2 cdkeys. But what im actually doing is Donating it to a Tournement which will be held WITHIN my multi gaming unit as a prize, and who wouldn't want to win Half Life 2 for FREE!!!

Back
Top Bottom