HMRC Call...

Soldato
It is intriguing that on the threads there are equal amount of folks saying the line is a scam and the line is real.
The people claiming scam then saying the people claiming real are part of said scam.
I'd have though they would at least send one letter prior to asking for money.

Caporegime
It is intriguing that on the threads there are equal amount of folks saying the line is a scam and the line is real.
The people claiming scam then saying the people claiming real are part of said scam.
I'd have though they would at least send one letter prior to asking for money.

You would be surprised and expect it and maybe they did and it didn't arrive.

Trust me, I am not part of the scam. HMRC plague the life out of me at work on the phone.

They are following the fine system without any leaway this year and have introduced loads of new fines which most people won't even be aware of.

To be safe, never pay over the phone in repsonse to their call but ring or contact HMRC to sort out what you owe them. They won't go away.

And to the OP, until HMRC confirm there is no requirement for you to complete annual self assessment, you are required to still complete one even if you are a PAYE employee.

Associate
Their computer systems are currently going mental issuing penalties and distraint proceedings to all and sundry, even taxpayers with pay arrangements with them. Problem with automatic systems! :D

*facepalm*

First it was tax coding notices being incorrectly sent out and now this....

Although a relative of mine (who died last year) had the same problem of being fined for not sending in self assessment forms for years even though he hadn't been working during that time for health reasons and even though he did send in evidence that he hadn't been working for that time they still kept pushing him for the money (by letter and not phone) even after he had died.

Soldato
You should have received a notice to file a return but in typical fashion, never rely on HMRC's systems. Which tax year were you self employed for?

Soldato
Dont pay it, find out what tax return(s) is/are outstanding and fill in the the tax returns for the relevant years. The fact you have been employed will mean your tax will (should) be up to date and correct and the fact there is no tax due will mean the penalty is reduced to nil*

* As of this tax year this no longer applies. If you miss the deadline you pay a penalty regardless of tax due.

Associate
OP
Called up HMRC's proper number, they confirmed it's not a scam and they really are charging me £100 for not filling in a form. They also said however that if I fill in self assessments for 08-09 and 09-10, and I have no tax to pay, the fine will be dropped. The guy on the phone said that the system hadn't logged that I'd finished self employed work (even though I explicitly wrote this on the SA form I filled in), it assumed I still needed to fill in a self assessment and so didn't bother telling me I need to do one. Stupid system, a single bit of information missing and they slap a fine on you without realising!

Now the boring job of filling in not one but TWO tax returns :(

Caporegime
Called up HMRC's proper number, they confirmed it's not a scam and they really are charging me £100 for not filling in a form. They also said however that if I fill in self assessments for 08-09 and 09-10, and I have no tax to pay, the fine will be dropped. The guy on the phone said that the system hadn't logged that I'd finished self employed work (even though I explicitly wrote this on the SA form I filled in), it assumed I still needed to fill in a self assessment and so didn't bother telling me I need to do one. Stupid system, a single bit of information missing and they slap a fine on you without realising!

Now the boring job of filling in not one but TWO tax returns :(

At least it;s a simple case of pretty much copying yoru p60.

I did say HMRC are coming down heavy this year with fines and are indeed ringing people up to collect them.

Take employers pAYE. If your are late paying more than once in the year your fine starts at 1% of what you paid and goes up rapidly for each nect time you are late. With my company the first fine would be £200 but would soon go past £1000.

Welcome to an era where the government doesn't have enough money.

aMb

aMb

Associate
My understanding, since last reading the tax legislation, if you haven't received a notice from HMRC to file a tax return for the tax year in question, the deadline should no longer be 31 January following the tax year, but 3 months from the date of the notice.

If you can prove the above I think HMRC should drop any penalties, however as you indicated above the penalty is reduced to the lower of the tax due or £100. Also bear in mind there would be 5% surcharges due on the oustanding amounts.

Soldato
A non existent HMRC department sends me a £100 fine every year now. I've never paid and ignore them. Last attempt to talk to HMRC about it resulted in them coming to the conclusion that they weren't genuine HMRC letters.

Now the non-existent department has sent me an actual self-assessment tax return. They'll love this.

Associate
Urgh HMRC,

They irritate the life out of me. Over the past year I've been trying to claim back various amounts of overpaid tax.

08-09, I overpaid by £1400, it took them 6 months to send a cheque.
I'm now waiting for around £400 that was overpaid in 09-10, apparently they will be sending the cheque mid to late June.

Without fail they take money from my pay on the same date every month, yet trying to get anything back is like trying to get blood from a stone! Why can't I issue them with a £100 fine as they haven't met my own personal deadline for returning my money?

Back
Top Bottom