HMS Daring

Associate
Balddog said:
The polls coming out of Iraq disagree with you. In fact the British troops are seen in quite a good light..Especially since they have the US troops to show how it shouldnt be done.

Boers? Great example there...something that happened over 100 years ago..

Palestinians dont think much of anyone. We havent done anything more to them than anyone else.

North Korea...You obviously have no clue what youre talking about there. You would be extremely surprised what North Koreans think of us...Have you ever met and spoke to any by the way?

The average Iranian has no problem with the UK...Their government on the other hand, may do..

I know how much youd like to think we are despised but the simple truth is that we arent...Quite the opposite in much of the world in fact.

Perhaps it would do you good to get out of your computer room for a while and see what the world is like rather than reading it all online.
patronising. thanks.

I've travelled quite extensively. And I accept your point in fact, I haven't met any individual person who specifically hated Englishness. I think what I am driving at, is our actions in the last 6 years, have earned us a lot more resentment - maybe not from developed nations, but certainly in the middle east.

I'm not sure how you know exactly what the average north korean or iranian or palestinian thinks, but I'll take your word for it. You must have spoken to one heck of a lot of people to be making statements like that.

Even if the boers was 100 years ago, it is still not our finest hour.

Associate
Balddog said:
Youre such a troll its hilarious..Youre just trotting out all the old lines just to annoy people...

Who cares if the royals are german...WE ARE GERMAN when it comes down to it...Or at least a large part of us is...Mixed in with loads of other things as well..
No, I dispute that. I'm entitled to defend my opinion, and in fact i have been asked to. So this albeit argumentative, is not trolling. And if the fact that we have a bunch of inbred german as our figureheads annoys people - how is that my fault?

Associate
Nana said:
I'm not sure how you know exactly what the average north korean or iranian or palestinian thinks, but I'll take your word for it. You must have spoken to one heck of a lot of people to be making statements like that.

How well do you know them to have made your comment in the first place?

Associate
Keltyx said:
How well do you know them to have made your comment in the first place?
I read a lot of articles written by people in those places. I have noit claimed to know any individuals, but I have claimed that there is widespread resentment or hatred of the UK abroad. And if there isn't, then why the hell are we so uptight about terrorism that I can't take nail clippers onto an aeroplane.

Last edited:
Associate
big_white_dog84 said:
Yes historically it was English. Then the Scottish King took the English crown.
Most of the money will be from Engerland, but I'm sure the Scots paid their fair share.

Agreed. If everyone had their own, most of the North Sea oil would be Scottish :D

Soldato
I think i read that there will initially be 6 Type 45's with the possibility of another 6 making a total fleet of 12. Would i be correct in thinking we currently have 12 Type 42's ? Although the order for the 2 supercarriers hasnt been placed as of yet, the fact that the Type 45's main purpose is air defence kind of points at the fact the carrier will be along in due course. Isnt there a problem with the naval varient of the Joint Strike Fighter at the moment which means it would struggle to launch from the new carriers, that may be a reason as to why theres a hold up. I'd read rumours of an improved Harrier in the interim if the problems with the JSF could be solved.

As for the fleet being English, where was HMS Daring launched from ? Where are a lot of the UK's submarines based ? Are the servicemen all English ? It may be a little pedantic to some people, but its quite insulting to suggest anything other than its a UK force.

Soldato
Nana said:
I'd say the people of Iraq ain't too well disposed towards us, the Boers hate us - after all we invented concentration camps to kill them, Palestinians don't think too much of us, I'm sure north Korea and Iran don't love us too much, the people who blew up buses in London hated us. We are an Al-Q target thanks to our involvement in Iraq and afghanistan.
QUOTE]

All rubbish, you say Iraq hates the UK? I doubt it very much, I'd say some hate us, some are quite grateful for getting rid of saddam but would like life to get back to normal asap and most couldn't give a toss so long as the electric doesn't go off and they have money in their pocket.

The only people who go on about hating this and despising that are activists with too much time on their hands. The bulk of the worlds populace just get on with their lives.

Extremism takes many forms - we can do without them all.

Soldato
Nana said:
patronising. thanks.

I've travelled quite extensively. And I accept your point in fact, I haven't met any individual person who specifically hated Englishness. I think what I am driving at, is our actions in the last 6 years, have earned us a lot more resentment - maybe not from developed nations, but certainly in the middle east.

Even if the boers was 100 years ago, it is still not our finest hour.

Youre not at all patronising of course :)

Not Englishness, not a concept..Im simply talking people.

Resentment from the middle east...Perhaps. but we have an awful lot to answer for in the middle east.

I know what the average north korean thinks because ive spoken to quite a lot of them and I oddly enough, north korea, its international relations and reunification are quite big issues in south korea, where I live.

Iranians make their opinions quite clear. Before things started going nasty with Iran, which is quite a recent thing...It was quite apparent that the average Iranian had no problem with the west, the UK especially. Several of my friends still have family in Iran and speak to them on a regular basis..

Palestians...I shared a house with a guy who helped run the palestinian society at my uni..One of my best mates was a palestinian and this is an issue we talked about at length.

Dont take my word for it...Find out yourself :dunno: Dont just assume people hate us..

The Boer concentration camps were not death camps. In those days, we would not have systematically killed white people, it just wasnt cricket..They were holding camps but due to bungling, the people there starved and were hit by disease. They were not extermination camps.

Soldato
Nana said:
No, I dispute that. I'm entitled to defend my opinion, and in fact i have been asked to. So this albeit argumentative, is not trolling. And if the fact that we have a bunch of inbred german as our figureheads annoys people - how is that my fault?

Its not defending your opinion though, its just throwing out deliberately controversial remarks to **** people off.

Permabanned
Nana said:
complete and utter waste of money so we can kill innocent people for more oil for Mr Bush, is it any wonder we are hated?
How old are you, 14? still going threw that teenage rebellion phase, down with the system and what not eh, stupid comment :rolleyes:

Im glad we have these things about, be able to hit anything that comes near us, i just hope the same amount of money are going into our other services to stop things like 7/7 and 9/11 again.

Associate
willd58 said:
How old are you, 14? still going threw that teenage rebellion phase, down with the system and what not eh, stupid comment :rolleyes:

Im glad we have these things about, be able to hit anything that comes near us, i just hope the same amount of money are going into our other services to stop things like 7/7 and 9/11 again.
28 ta.

Of course big guns and weapons of huge destruction DO stop terrorism.... don't they?

Associate
Zildjian said:
Nana, you keep saying everyone hates us and wants to blow us up, yet you dont want us to have weapons? eh?
thats right
Because when we get big weapons we use them, and that tends to kill people, often innocent poeple but thats just collateral damage, and that in turn, leads to more hatred and resentment, and more poeple wanting to kill us. If we stopped killing innocent people and raping the world for our lifestyles, then less people would want to kill us, its a kind of reap what you sow thing. If TB had no army, he wouldnt have gone into afghanistan or iraq in the first place. And then almost certainly, 7/7 would not have happened.

Soldato
Nana said:
thats right
Because when we get big weapons we use them, and that tends to kill people, often innocent poeple but thats just collateral damage, and that in turn, leads to more hatred and resentment, and more poeple wanting to kill us. If we stopped killing innocent people and raping the world for our lifestyles, then less people would want to kill us, its a kind of reap what you sow thing. If TB had no army, he wouldnt have gone into afghanistan or iraq in the first place. And then almost certainly, 7/7 would not have happened.

Do you want me to list the UN peacekeeping missions that we also wouldnt have been able to do?

The UN is there for a reason. Afganistan and Iraq are nothing compared to the good things that UN forces have been used for in the past.

Associate
Balddog said:
Do you want me to list the UN peacekeeping missions that we also wouldnt have been able to do?

The UN is there for a reason. Afganistan and Iraq are nothing compared to the good things that UN forces have been used for in the past.
Isn't it a shame that america declared the UN irrelevant?

I fully agree, and the UN has help from many many countries, who play a significant role, but which have a tiny military by comparison to us. We have no need for hundreds of millions of quids worth of warships.

Man of Honour
Needless to say the navy also stops drug runners, pirates and other sea based crimes around the world.

I reckon it's a good idea, destroy all our weapons and means of defence. It'll make our destruction a lot quicker should we be attacked - despite not having any weapons it may still happen. Let's not try and offer peace keeping or support to nations that actually call on us for help. Let's just crawl under a rock and pretend that the world is a utopia and nobody dies ever, and that every body loves each other... Yes that's realistic. :)

Back
Top Bottom