Home brewing kits ....

Associate
yeah, we spent a few hours yesterday preparing some bottles. What a pain that is. So yeah, might get a bottle washer thingy too soon, but we'll see how this first time bottling goes.

Soldato
My original cerveza isnt tasting to good, the canadian blonde is great tho, as for my stout oh boy this stuff is great, its getting stronger by the day, be full on moonshine by the end of summer:D

Soldato
Just tried a bottle of my Wherry after 2 weeks in the bottle and i'm really impressed! I was a bit worried that I had messed up when bottling it up but it's turned out great. I cant wait to see what it's like in a few weeks.

I think i'll get another one on the go as I don't think this batch is going to last long at all :D.

Associate
I bottled up my Wherry last night.

Only my second bottling effort but much, much easier than my first. I got me some toys to help... One of them pressy down squirty bottle sanitizers, a bottle draining tree and a bottling bucket for batch priming. So much quicker and easier than fannying around with a bench full of wet bottles trying to put the correct amount of sugar in each!

Tonight, I will be mostly starting off my Coopers Australian Pale Ale. Going to dry hop it in a few days too, I fancy something nice and hoppy for the late summer.

Oh, and my Canadian Blonde is clearing nicely after being bottled for around three weeks so far. I'll be sampling that one this weekend :)

Soldato
first taste of my admirals revenge last night, gassy as hell again and i only used 80 gm's of sugar!

but the beer tastes lovely, be better chilled too. bottling my wherry but i may now invest in another keg as i've moved my original one to the top of the wine cabinet so could theoretically replace it with another.

Associate
i seem to be getting into stouts and i purchased a case of hook norton double stout on holiday last wk and wondered if there is a kit that's as good as this. anyone have any ideas?

While I've not tried it, there is a stout recipe using 2 cans of the Coopers stout that seems to have a good reputation. Search for Ditchs Stout (named after the guy who posted the recipe, not because it tastes like a ditch).

Associate
Nice, some good offers there. Pity I bought the screw top fermenter to use as a bottling bucket and fermenter last weekend. Still, wasn't too worried even at £13 for the amount of use it'll get.

Associate
Couldn't resist trying out a bottle of my Canadian Blonde. Been in the bottle for a little under three weeks and in the fridge a couple of days.

Looked great! (excuse the carp picture)...

CanadianBlonde.jpg

Very nice taste, strong flavour but that's probably the extra dme I used. Head didn't last long (never does ;) ). Could that be because it hasn't been conditioning very long? Was very clear in the bottle but my pouring skills leave something to be desired.

I will definately be having a few of these over the weekend!

On the back of this success, I'm looking forward to sampling my Wherry in a few weeks. And my Coopers APA is fermenting away nicely, if it settles down I'll get it hopped this weekend. Unfortunately, to keep Mrs Punt from complaining about my current hobby I'll be making a fruity cider for her next.

Roll on Cirrhosis of the Liver !!

Soldato
Are Wilko stopping selling brewing stuff? Seems odd they are selling everything off for half price. Some very lucky people will have snapped up the Wherry kits for £9 each :eek:.

I'm tempted to get one of the Brewmaker Best of British Yorkshire bitter or English ale kits. Has anyone tried them? They are a 2 can 3kg kit so hoping they are good.

On the back of this success, I'm looking forward to sampling my Wherry in a few weeks. And my Coopers APA is fermenting away nicely, if it settles down I'll get it hopped this weekend. Unfortunately, to keep Mrs Punt from complaining about my current hobby I'll be making a fruity cider for her next.

Roll on Cirrhosis of the Liver !!

I'm loving mine, I don't think you will be disappointed! It's only been nearly 3 weeks and it tastes lovely. The first one after 2 weeks was nice, but this second one I have just had was even better.

Last edited:
Soldato
i am supping my admirals reserve and it's nice, but after checking it's only 3 wks in the keg so may leave it now as its very gassy.

my wherry is kegged in the new king keg too. i forgot to pur the float in so i hope me putting my clean hands in the ale to put the tube on won;t ruin it. started at 1045 and finished at 1010 so a nice 4.5%

Back
Top Bottom