Home brewing kits ....

Associate
Got my second brew on the go now, this time its Coopers Canadian Blonde, just got it going about 30 mins ago. As for the other batch its now bottled and in the shed awaiting a taster in December. I did give it a quick go when bottling it and tasted like its gonna be nice :D

Canadian Blonde
canadian_blonde.jpg

Soldato
I'm making a Passion Fruit cider at the minute. Aiming for 7.5% and medium sweet, really fizzy for a change as well, normally like my cider almost flat.

Soldato
Anyone got a price list for a beginner for this hobby. I want to make some beer for near end of next month maybe. Not rich so if possible list the cheapest stuff and maybe where to get it from if allowed. From sunderland so if anyone knows any stores that might do it cheaper than getting it online that would be cool as well. Dont really fancy spending more than 30-40 quid and hopefully this includes a cask instead of bottles as dont think i could be bothered capping all the bottles etc.

Oh this is for ale, maybe somit similar to newcastle brown ale perhaps?

Associate
Well if you consider a kit such as this, the beer kit itself is £20-25, so it does work out about £40 for the equipment.

As for the Cider makers in this thread, (shamelessly stolen from over at Jims) Andrew Lea's book, Craft Cidermaking is on offer this week for £3 including shipping. Apparently today is the last day though, so be quick. He's apparently one of the UK's authorities on making cider from fruit, but I'm sure a lot of the information will be good for making it from juices too.

Edit. apparently the 18th is the last day

Last edited:
Associate
Hahaha no hanging about there, nice one!

No point in *!*^!(* around :p

Had to tie the stopper down yesterday as it was forcing it out. Think I might even drill another hole in it and have 2 airlocks on it, since i would presume that the more apple juice the more gas is given off and i dont want it clogging and going BOOM!!!

Associate
Can anyone advise me on carbonation?

I am tasting my St Peters IPA (shown above) and its tasting really nice though it has no head and hardly any fizz. I stuck a teaspoon of sugar in each bottle but there is only a slight hint of bubbles and absolutely no head. Ay tips on how to get it carbonated and with a decent head?

Associate
Anyone got suggestions on how to get the brew carbonated, I've a Coopers Canadian Pale Ale nearly ready to bottle. Last time I added a little sugar to each bootle and capped them but was hardly any fizz and no head.

Cheers!

Man of Honour
I've used the drops and though they are great once you start doing things regularly it is a lot cheaper to use a priming calculator as provided by jimmy321. Decant your beer to an extra bucket, add sugar and mix (trying not to mix in too much air) and then bottle. A bottling wand is really great for this kind of thing too.

Soldato
Anyone got suggestions on how to get the brew carbonated, I've a Coopers Canadian Pale Ale nearly ready to bottle. Last time I added a little sugar to each bootle and capped them but was hardly any fizz and no head.

Cheers!

Ditch priming altogether and force carbonate.
If you use a nitrogen/co2 mix it will give a better head as well.
I couldn't stand going back to priming, if i'm bottling i keg first, force carbonate at 25psi for a month or so then fill the bottles slowly

Man of Honour
My Coopers Canadian is still bubbling away and it was started on the 16th, thought it would be ready by now.

You'd expect it to be normally but if it has been cold it can sometimes delay things a little. Also, any idea of your original gravity and target final gravity? As the alcohol content gets higher the fermentation will slow down.

Soldato
I've just realised I've got 72 bottles of wine on the brew right now, 2 30 bottle kits (one brewing, one clearing), 2 x 6 bottle Wurzel variants.
Then I've got 23 litres of cider ageing, 6 bottles of my first wurzel mix ageing and then the end of my first wine kit that we are currently drinking.
Beer.. a Wherry thats just coming ready (already a few pints drunk) and a Muntons kit that i'm working my way through.

Only started this a few months ago. Not brought any beer or wine now since the day it first came ready and its so much nicer than the stuff we were buying.

All due to a post on here that lead to my first Muntons kit and the really helpful people in my local brew shop :)

Back
Top Bottom