Home brewing kits ....

Soldato
Got a brew fridge up and running yesterday, free fridge and £30 worth of bits and its sitting outside in my garage at 20c :)

Then got both my wine and beer kit sorted out, went to the local brew shop and picked up a second fermenting bin and by the end of the day I have a 30 bottle Pinot kit and 23ltrs of Wherry on the go.

Good day :D

Man of Honour
I don't have an airlock bubbler in my new kit. Is that weird?

Been going 28 hours now, little to no bubbling in my bucket. Is that normal? I expected a reaction by now.

Man of Honour
I don't have an airlock bubbler in my new kit. Is that weird?

Been going 28 hours now, little to no bubbling in my bucket. Is that normal? I expected a reaction by now.

Normally you would get one yeah.. Do you just have the lid sealed?

Yeast may takea bit longer to get going with the cooler weather. Any idea of the temperature of the brew? What temp was it when you pitched the yeast?

Man of Honour
Just over 19 and it's been between 18 and 20 since.

My first brew. Yes, have the lid sealed.

Eventually the lid will be pushed off - you may want to leave it slightly open (though really it'd be much more ideal to have an airlock). If you have an airlock hole and no airlock then cover the hole with an upside down cup. This will at least keep dust out.

I'd give it another 12 hours or so. You won't see tons of bubbles in the liquid itself but you'll probably start to notice more of a fermentation smell. Normally I use airlock activity to measure things so not having an airlock makes it kind of difficult.

Soldato
brew belt to get the temps up might help. sounds like its taking its time and the yeast might be off if nothing is happening.

i bottled the ditch's stout before xmas and very nice indeed. can't wait for a few bottles after me holiday next wk.

Associate
Just over 19 and it's been between 18 and 20 since.

My first brew. Yes, have the lid sealed.

Did you add the yeast, if so at what temp?

Is there a yeast/foamy head forming on the brew?

What is it your brewing, if the kit was supplied with a lager yeast there may be little sign of activity and you should keep it at lower temps.

Man of Honour
By the way, as if they called it a beer belt instead of a beer jacket!!

Lots of white bubbles, some brown powder on top. What's next?

It's not a very strong smell.

Man of Honour
By the way, as if they called it a beer belt instead of a beer jacket!!

Lots of white bubbles, some brown powder on top. What's next?

It's not a very strong smell.

Give it about a week (might be done sooner but this will ensure it's finished).

After that you can bottle it or rack it to a keg. You'll need to add sugar to carbonate also.

Man of Honour
It's an ale kit I had, said I didn't need any sugar?

I can't find the instructions. Mrs has had a tidy up. Think it said to rest it for 12 days.

So the first fermentation that you're doing now involved the yeast eating all the sugar and turning it into alcohol. Once finished you will have a very nice but completely flat ale. If that's what you want then that's cool (some people like that style) :)

If you want to have it carbonated you will need to add additional sugar before you bottle or keg. This will mean you get a secondary fermentation which generates a tiny amount more alcohol (almost nil) and CO2 which will give it some fizz.

Man of Honour
Ok. Is 12 days for the second major part of the process about right? It said to be warm for about 10 days then cool for 2? I'm also guessing it won't need much sugar?

Is there anything I need to avoid siphoning off? I'm assuming there'll be lots of muck on tr bottom and perhaps the brown cack/head on the top?

Man of Honour
Ok. Is 12 days for the second major part of the process about right? It said to be warm for about 10 days then cool for 2? I'm also guessing it won't need much sugar?

Is there anything I need to avoid siphoning off? I'm assuming there'll be lots of muck on tr bottom and perhaps the brown cack/head on the top?

For the second bit I would keep it somewhere very warm for about 5-7 days. If you do this (keep it 25C or so) then you can drink it then. It's probably not best practice to do this but I usually follow this with a few of my bottles so my impatience is satisfied :p

Avoiding the yeast cake on the bottom is the main thing. The stuff on the top will taste quite nasty but it will also settle to the bottom of the bottle so as long as you're careful when you're pouring it's not something to worry about too much.

Back
Top Bottom