Home lab case options

Soldato
Hi

I've got quite a few machines now, mainly midi towers and some sff / htpc stuff. I also have a rackmount switch, router and firewall.

I'd like to convert it all to short depth rack mount kit and then use 2 short server racks (15u to 18u?) to support a tabletop / desktop spanning the racks - I figure this lot will take up the same amount of space as my current desk, minus the systems that surround and fill the pedestals of my current desk. Should all look a lot tidier - which will have the added benefit of making my misses happy.

So my questions!

I'm thinking short depth racks and cases are the way to go, that means a case will be 450mm deep and 4u, which is the same depth as the deepest piece of network kit I have (all 1u). A rack that will house a short depth server is going to be at least 60cm deep - probably 65. This would make it the same depth as my current desk - perfect right? Well no - as most servers are not short depth, which will severely limit any choices when changing my setup in the future. So instead I might want to go for a rack that can house a full depth server - the shortest total depth I think that will be available is 800mm, most server racks I have ever seen though are 900-1000mm - does anyone here have a desk that deep? How do you find it? Is your monitor too far away to reach the controls etc?

Secondly, anyone got any recommendations for racks and rackmount cases, I need 2 4u cases that have at least 5 5.25 bays (2 bays for 2.5" hot swap rack + 3 for 3.5" hotswap racks) - and ideally no more than 450mm deep...

Thirdly, anyone else using rackmount setups at home any got any thoughts or suggestions on the above?

Thanks!

Soldato
most server racks I have ever seen though are 900-1000mm - does anyone here have a desk that deep? How do you find it? Is your monitor too far away to reach the controls etc?
You don't have to place your monitor right at the back of the desk.

My home rack disappeared years ago once virtualisation was a viable option.

Back
Top Bottom