Home made case

Associate
Started to build a fully aluminium large midi case. Limited tools for the job but so far things are going ok.

I'm gonna put a pic up so you can all have a good laugh later. :)

If it all starts going wrong, can anyone suggest a good aluminium case which would be suitable for watercooling. I had the thermaltake armour in mind as I like the styling atleast.

cheers

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So far I have spent £30 on aluminium. I am keeping an eye on price which is why my working methods are not exactly ideal. So far the tools used consist of, stanley knife, jigsaw, workmate, spanner and 2 x thick metal rulers.lol

As for a new case, about £150-200 is my max limit.

Last edited:
Permabanned
TJ07, or STACKER 810 are great for watercooling out of the box.

The V1000+ is good but you need to do some modifacation.

Good luck.

Associate
OP
Thanks

Stacker is nice. Is it Aluminium chassis?

Here is a pic, it took time getting these bits shaped with the tools I have. Trying to keep cost down as much as poss though otherwise I am just aswell getting a new case.

Thats the top, bottom, front or back part of the chassis and the primed piece is the front panel.

DSCF0301vs.jpg

Associate
OP
ok, so if I get fed up with my diy job. I have myself a shortlist. What d'ya think?

SS TJ07 if I get brave.lol
lianli v1000plus
cm stacker
TT armour

I love the styling of the armour but how is it rated by you guys?

Soldato
Its a ok case, not built the finest but more than good enough.

If you like it then buy it, you wont be dissapointed with it.

Soldato
With a case, go with what you like as you will be looking at it for a long time. ;)

I can't get enough of the looks of my Kandalf. I first saw it on google and liked it so much that I spent ages trying to find what it was. (The Kandalf is the same inside as the Armor, and it is very roomy, quiet and well built, the only thing I don't like is the cheap plastic bit on the top.)

Permabanned
Kandalf looks nice on the outside, but the attention to detail is really bad.

Overspray on some places, lime green PCI locks???? Doors do not stay shut, they just flap about. SO MANY FANS= LOUD!

The V1000+ is such a nicer case, and its worth an extra £80 let alone £40 just for the quality.

The CM stacker is a really nice safe case to buy.

Soldato
I threw away the PCI lock. Ugly, ugly thing. The doors shut fine on mine, and the 4 fans are 20db each, my case is quite quiet.

Antec 660AMG, very small case, ugly but it was well priced with an OK PSU.

Antec Sonata II, extremly quiet case but has this really odd ducting thing that goes over the CPU.

Soldato
If you had used a ATCS / Lian Li / Silverstone case you would not call the Tt well put together, it does its job, quite well infact but everything that Noni has said I can't fault.

(Why am I agreeing with him a lot today!)

I would always take a V series over a Stacker, purely because the V series is worth more second hand ;)

Soldato
Stick with the diy case, its looking interesting so far. Have a look on pimprig and other pc case modding sites if you need any ideas, they make some amazing cases.

Mark

Associate
OP
ok, so I have come to the conclusion after watching a video review of the tj07 that it is way overpriced. The video does'nt do the case any justice whatsoever. Poorly aligned side doors and the tacky front usb/jack socket flappy thing which I cant stand..

Sticking with the custom job and save myself some money.

Associate
OP
Aluminium has protective layer on it until I have finished cutting/drilling.

I will probably put a window side on, but not just a square window, something different.

Only prob I have recognised so far is the fact that I wont be able to roll the edges. I could probably smooth them but dont know how successful that will be, guess will have to wait and see.

Associate
OP
To give some idea what the actual finish will look like, here is a sample pic.

It all needs finishing off on every edge but gives a rough idea of the construction aswell.

DSCF0302sm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom