Home NAS Media/File Storage

Associate
Hi, Wondering if i could get some advise, currently got a DNS-320L ShareCenter which i have
music/videos stored on, Ive got fibre network with the NAS ran direct to router with CAT6,
Its okay but its not great, buffering videos and general slow access speeds,
So my question is, i have an old Sony Vaio (2.2GHz Intel Core i7-2670QM, 8GB, 1,333MHz DDR3)
+ A few External hard drives. Would it be worth converting the laptop to a NAS/Server.
If so what is the best way to do it ??

Thanks.

Associate
OP
hmmm yeah will have to think of another way round it. Don't want to spend fortunes but i have a 9u data cabinet with space, wanted to try and get something to do the job that would go in there but everything rack mounted seems very expensive, guessing the cheapest way to do that is to
strip some of the components like the processor from the laptop and build a NAS Server

Associate
You don't need much power cpu power etc, find a case that works for you space, then a motherboard, then fill in the blanks with a small gold psu, ram, drives etc. I've always used FreeNas, but it's not for everyone, so one of the suggestions above for software.

Associate
OP
Im gonna scrap the idea of building to be honest, seems like its gonna be too much agro. Think im just gonna have to lump it on a Synogogy Rackstation RS816. Anyone had any hands on with one? Just mainly gonna be used for storing and playing Movies and music, which will be accessed though a Mac. Hoping this will be a good solution.

Associate
OP
Would be open to doing that as long as i could get one that would physically fit in my cabinet as its only 300mm deep, only thing is i wouldnt have a clue where to start, you no of any decent step by step guides or anything ??

Associate
OP
was looking for something rack mounted really, if i go for something desktop spose i might aswell get a ds416play :S

Associate
Glad you scrapped the idea of using the laptop for a NAS. Hosting drives over a (presumably) USB2 would have driven you to madness.

A DS416play is 400 notes. A HP Gen8 Microserver is 150, with 50quid cashback normally depending on where you get it from.

Associate
OP
okay so how about a DS216play with 2 decent drives, thats more around the price of the 150, would you still go with the 150 over that ?

Back
Top Bottom