Home network advice (config and equipment)

Associate
OP
.... one last (hopefully) question if I may.

I've noticed that the Virgin supplied router I intend to connect (D Link 615) does not support gigabit speeds. I presume that if I connect my network up as per my earlier diagram the switch will be doing all the traffic management therefore this is not an issue?

To clarify, there will be nothing directly wired to the router other than the output to the switch.

Thanks

Mike

Associate
OP
Just a reply to say thank you for all the advice. I went with the Procurve switch in the end and rigged up the network as suggested going from modem to router to switch. It's running awesome and I'm having fun learning about networks, setting up static IP's for fixed equipment outside of the DHCP range etc.

Had a few issues with what was narrowed down to dodgy rj45 connector sockets but all is good now so getting on with speccing up the actual media streaming and a/v equipment now.

Associate
I've noticed that the Virgin supplied router I intend to connect (D Link 615) does not support gigabit speeds....

Is this the same for all (sub standard ISP provided) routers? Looks like I will be on the lookout for a switch of some sort for my soon to be configured network!

Soldato
My Sky Netgear DG845GT doesn't support Gbit either. At least not with the Sky firmware. Both wired PC in my home have Gbit LAN ports but only get 100mb connections.

Throwing a Gbit switch and some CAT6 at my house in a few weeks. Glad to hear I don't have to get a GBit router too.

Soldato
Three reasons really:

1: From reading CAT5e is "up to" GBit speeds, whereas CAT6 can go beyond this. Going beyond is not really a requirement, but it does mean it should be able to handle 1Gbps even under a lot of traffic. When I am done and have my network set up, 3 or 4 machines could be streaming media or downloading. I am just making sure I can accommodate it all.

2: If I can get the best quality cable within my means then why not? Which leads to,

3: Just from a really quick look at some websites the price of CAT6 is very close to 5e. One site [an OcUK competitor so can't say who] has CAT5e at 69p per metre vs 79p for CAT6. That means CAT6 is only £1 more per 10metres than CAT5e. Even if I needed 100m [which I don't - yet!] it would only be a tenner more :)

wij

wij

Associate
1. When you can get affordable 10GigE interfaces for consumer equipment (which may well be quite probably optical based anyway) let alone the hardware that can utilise/require the link we will probably be living on the moon.

2. It's a bit of a bitch to work with (bend radius, harder to terminate - well at least ime), and totally unnecessary for most [all] domestic needs.

Also plugs, tools and Cat6 rated panels are also more costly so I hope you've factored that into account.

I've got a GigE network through my house, can stream multiple full bitrate blu-rays without any problems at all and anyway the drives in the server would crap out long before I ran out of bandwidth on the network.

Soldato
1. When you can get affordable 10GigE interfaces for consumer equipment (which may well be quite probably optical based anyway) let alone the hardware that can utilise/require the link we will probably be living on the moon.

Nothing is set in stone, it never is until you actually click "Confirm Order" or hand over your cash :p

2. It's a bit of a bitch to work with (bend radius, harder to terminate - well at least ime), and totally unnecessary for most [all] domestic needs.

The bend radius shouldn't be an issue. The cable is pretty much going straight up into the attic. Plenty of room in there to bend it. Cables from the attic will drop straight down into each room. However, it is a consideration and will know more once I measure up properly.

Also plugs, tools and Cat6 rated panels are also more costly so I hope you've factored that into account.

Hmm, I knew panels etc had to be CAT6 rated, didn't realise there would be different tools to do the job though. I am glad you pointed that out! :)

I've got a GigE network through my house, can stream multiple full bitrate blu-rays without any problems at all and anyway the drives in the server would crap out long before I ran out of bandwidth on the network.

Really? I haven't been giving CAT5e enough credit! If you can manage to stream Blu-Ray then CAT5e may be back on the cards. The cost of the cable isn't an issue, but I am not a fan of the idea of having to buy new tools for it.

I am glad I posted in here now, never know what small details you miss in your plans for world domina...err.. ahem. Anyways. :D

Actually, while I am here - any recommendations for a small [8 socket] Gbit switches?

Soldato
1400-8G or 1800-8G for management. You might pick up the Netgear equivalent off an auction website for cheaper.

'Basic' Blu-ray playback is around 36Mbit/s. In real world testing, I've found it soaks up about 135Mbit/s, which is still fine for gigabit networks.

If you're going to be installing it into the building, you may as well go for Cat6 - simply to futureproof it.

Back
Top Bottom